It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 07:37

Hughes Aircraft LED Question

• Author

bdxample

Hughes Aircraft LED Question

Post03 Feb 2011, 22:43

Hello all. After doing some browsing I have decided to try my luck at having my questions answered.
I have an opportunity to acquire a branded Hughes aircraft watch like the one shown in the link provided.
I have no idea if it works.
The left side of the "crystal" does have a significant chip/chunk, slightly larger than the one in the picture.

My question;

How rare are these watches?
Does rarity also mean desirability?
Does desirability also mean marketability?

in other words; does rare=desirable=marketable, with this watch?

Should I break the bank with my purchase or approach it conservatively?

Thank you for any assistance.

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/hughes3.htm

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Hughes Aircraft LED Question

Post05 Feb 2011, 02:03

Hughes mainly produced watch modules rather than complete watches and the branded watches are quite rare to find. From what I understand some where produced for the Hughes sales team and although they where not sold directly to the public they could be purchased by company employees via the company shop.

The desirability/value would depend on the condition of the watch and with this watch in particular the condition of the crystal is especially important as it carries the Hughes stamp.

I would expect it to still be of interest to collectors but the damage to the crystal will negatively affect the value of the watch.

The module in the watch was also used in quite a few other LED watches from the same era and although they are no longer produced spares can be found easily enough, cost wise expect to pay around the $95 mark.

So given the damage I would be inclined to say a conservative approach would be the best course of action.

It's a nice weighty watch, I have one myself, the Hughes logo is a little faded but the crystal is in fairly good condition.

Link to photo of my Hughes
http://www.dwf.nu/Gallery/displayimage. ... play_media

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

strassenfest

Re: : Hughes Aircraft LED Question

Post28 Dec 2012, 14:57

bucko170 wrote:Hughes mainly produced watch modules rather than complete watches and the branded watches are quite rare to find. From what I understand some where produced for the Hughes sales team and although they where not sold directly to the public they could be purchased by company employees via the company shop.

The desirability/value would depend on the condition of the watch and with this watch in particular the condition of the crystal is especially important as it carries the Hughes stamp.

I would expect it to still be of interest to collectors but the damage to the crystal will negatively affect the value of the watch.

The module in the watch was also used in quite a few other LED watches from the same era and although they are no longer produced spares can be found easily enough, cost wise expect to pay around the $95 mark.

So given the damage I would be inclined to say a conservative approach would be the best course of action.

It's a nice weighty watch, I have one myself, the Hughes logo is a little faded but the crystal is in fairly good condition.

Link to photo of my Hughes
http://www.dwf.nu/Gallery/displayimage. ... play_media

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Hi,

first of all I want to say hello as being the first time online in this forum. Reading your info my question is where to get these spares of Hughes modules. I have a swiss LED watch but the Hughes module was falling apart. Any address or link? Thanks Ed

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Hughes Aircraft LED Question

Post28 Dec 2012, 17:15

Ed,
I could help you with the module retroleds@aol.com.

Here's a picture of another one Image

Ed
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

strassenfest

Re: Hughes Aircraft LED Question

Post30 Dec 2012, 10:30

retroleds wrote:Ed,
I could help you with the module retroleds@aol.com.

Here's a picture of another one Image

Ed

Hi Ed,

thanks for your help, I am for the moment skiing in the french alps. As soon as I am back I will post pics of the watch (its a Beltime from Zuerich Kloten) and the broken module to find out the right spare one. Meanwhile wish you a happy New Year. Ed

Return to All other LED watches