It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 19:55

Compu Chron help please....

• Author

stophmaster

Compu Chron help please....

Post10 Apr 2012, 18:38

Greetings,
I've been collecting watches for some time, but just recently became enamoured with vintage digital watches. I just registered here, looks like a great forum! I have a couple of LCD's, but just got my first LED, a Compu Chron with what I believe is a 29mm Hughes module. It came with batteries in it, but wasn't quite working right although the seller had stated that it does work. I opened it up and poked around, then put the batteries in and closed the case. After a few minutes I figured out how to set the time, and it was working perfectly and keeping great time as of last night :-D . This morning I went to check the time, and instead of showing me the time, it only displayed the hour which stayed lit. If I pushed the date button, the date displayed and then of course the display went blank. So, as a total newb, I have no idea what is going on. Is this an indication that the batteries are low, or is there something wrong with the module? Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
'stoph

LED

Geek

Geek

Re: Compu Chron help please....

Post10 Apr 2012, 20:58

Hello,

I would suggest to clean the battery contacts, I use an eraser pen for it. Next you may try fresh batterys.

Good luck

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Apr 2012, 22:13

Nice penknife! 8-)
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

stophmaster

Post10 Apr 2012, 23:21

LED wrote:Hello,

I would suggest to clean the battery contacts, I use an eraser pen for it. Next you may try fresh batterys.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip, I'll give the contact cleaning a try.

Cheers!

stophmaster

Post10 Apr 2012, 23:21

Caruso wrote:Nice penknife! 8-)

Thanks! Quite handy too...

stophmaster

Post11 Apr 2012, 02:26

Well, oddly enough, I got home from work with fresh batteries in hand, and the watch is working fine...... :eek: Could it be that it got cold in the night? I've read that temp can affect these. Can anyone enlighten me?

LED

Geek

Geek

Post11 Apr 2012, 06:26

From my experience HA modules often suffer from oscillator problems which may cause all kinds of strange malfunctions. This may well be influenced by temperature, air humidity or battery voltage.

USBitsa

Post02 May 2012, 04:43

I think you can be pretty sure the xtal is bad... or is about to fail.

It probably is having truoble "starting-up" maybe from cold, but sounds as if the xtal oscillator doesnt' always strat-up.

You may find it will just fail at some point, thats why you had a single digit, the oscillator clock wasnt running, so the display multiplex wasnt running either.

:-(
LED graveyard here !

Return to All other LED watches