Bulova N6 please help me find a module

• Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Bulova N6 please help me find a module

Post31 Jul 2012, 12:18

Hi everyone looking for some advice.
Hi I have Just purchased a really nice bulova N6 Hexagon face, with a hughes DOW module in display box.
( button at 2o'clock set at 3 o'clock) doesn't show zeros on any digits but all other numbers fine.
Notified the Guy no reply yet. just wanted answers/options ready when he does.
What's the easiest/cheapest fix? new module or can it be fixed?
Hope you guys can help?
Many thanks Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jagmad on 01 Aug 2012, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

LED

Geek

Geek

Re: Bulova N6

Post31 Jul 2012, 16:41

... shows no zeros but shows other digits like 8s for example? That sounds like a strange chip malfunction - unrepairable :cry:
Best to return the watch for refund, or swap in a spare HA module?

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post31 Jul 2012, 18:55

LED wrote:... shows no zeros but shows other digits like 8s for example? That sounds like a strange chip malfunction - unrepairable :cry:
Best to return the watch for refund, or swap in a spare HA module?

Yep thats what I thought. Anyone have a good HA DOW to fit the above watch for sale?????????? before I'm forced to return it.
Or can anyone tell me what I should be paying for one???
Thanks Pete
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post31 Jul 2012, 20:00

Hi quick update don't know if it makes any difference BUT when I tried to set time etc,
sometimes the missing zero's start to appear dim at first then brighter with only the
bottom right segment not lighting up at all, movement makes the other 5 segments
flicker. Any thoughts????
Cheers Pete.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Re: Bulova N6 please help me find a module

Post13 Nov 2012, 06:00

Hi guys. Another case of unusual sudden module self fixing.
Cells have been in since last post, watch was not working at all.
Thought better take the cells out, I know I'll try new ones before I put
the back on and hey presto All's good how crazy is that.

Must have been a magic box it was in I'll have to keep it
Put all my knackered leds in there for a few weeks see if it works. M:)W:)M
pics below sorry about the quality it was very late..

hex.png

untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Nov 2012, 23:01

Looks great, sometimes I wonder if it's not some sort of worn out solder connection somewhere. Sometimes I'll have an led work perfectly fine, but when it warms up on my wrist for a few hours it will stop working. Take it off your wrist and let it cool down to room temperature and it will work fine again.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post14 Nov 2012, 02:28

AlmightyTallest wrote:Looks great, sometimes I wonder if it's not some sort of worn out solder connection somewhere. Sometimes I'll have an led work perfectly fine, but when it warms up on my wrist for a few hours it will stop working. Take it off your wrist and let it cool down to room temperature and it will work fine again.

Well BOG HAR ME your right my watch cupboard is on an outside wall and a bit cooler than the room, I came to check it this evening left out on the table in the warm room (wife's Nesh) and it was back to square one. Put it somewhere cooler for a few mins and it's fine. Thanks Almighty

But I'm so disappointed. It's not my magic box M:)W:)M

Anyone out there able to fix this problem????

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Nov 2012, 16:05

lol, sorry to ruin the magic box theory jagmad, I was thinking of sending some of my watches for you to stuff into the magic box if it worked lol.

I think there were a few guys around here that knew of the exact symptoms we're experiencing, and as I recall it was fixable, we'll have to see if anyone will take a look or perhaps can walk you through the repair process if it's an easy fix.

Sorry I can't help on this :(

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post14 Nov 2012, 16:25

Well, the good news is that isn't a Hughes module in that watch(unless someone made major alterations inside, so you can easily swap the quartz crystal, which is your likeliest suspect.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post15 Nov 2012, 01:16

Hi Thanks Guys for the replies I really appreciate all your help.
Some Pics of module below.
Ed I would never have thought of looking in the direction of the crystal
It keeps perfect time. Might the hot and cold treatment work as well??
There is no we are not worthy SMILEY if there was I'd use it LOL.
Love to know why it might be the crystal Ed?
And what module is it? Apart from being a Bulova 2604 10 or.. what else will we find it in??
Thanks again PETE

Hexmodule1.jpg

Hexmodule2.jpg

Return to All other LED watches