It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:09

Gruen 640 module with Flick-Wrist

• Author

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Gruen 640 module with Flick-Wrist

Post23 Aug 2012, 05:04

I found this 640 (sticker marked) module that has a little extra under the hood...
P1590936.JPG

P1590937.JPG

P1590938.JPG

P1590939.JPG

It has the the same DOT display as a Pulsar P2, or P3.
Flick of the wrist displays time, double flick fast enough...It displays the date!
Never seen this one, thought I would share 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Re: FRONTIER 640 module...Flick-Wrist?

Post23 Aug 2012, 07:32

That's a nice find Benrus, congrats! It seems that Frontier modules with the flick of the wrist feature are quite rare then. :-D
Image Image

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Aug 2012, 15:12

Great find - I didn't know about this module. Could we have a picture of the front of the watch working. :-D

I knew that the Pulsar 902 module Calculator show the date on a second flick of the wrist but didn't know any other module did.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Aug 2012, 19:45

Ade51 wrote:Could we have a picture of the front of the watch working. :-D

Here it is lit up in its original case, but pictured next to the case I decided to house it in:
P1600047.JPG

Here it is in action (click on the picture, and you may have to restart video after the jump):
Enjoy ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post24 Aug 2012, 01:27

Just a note of clarification here...to Ade51...many Pulsars had the Auto-Command function. All P4s, some Touch-Command Dress, and maybe a few Sport watches, that, by accident or design, got the special 501 modules. On the Calculators, the 901 did not have either the AC or DOW functions; the 902 had both. It's the 903 that has the second-flick-for-date feature.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post24 Aug 2012, 02:57

I'm wondering what makes you think it is Frontier......all other visual indications are that is a Gruen module (that is, one they had made especially for them) - they did that for a short period and then switched to almost strictly Hughes.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Re: FRONTIER? 640 module...Flick-Wrist? (or is it GRUEN?)

Post24 Aug 2012, 08:24

retroleds wrote:I'm wondering what makes you think it is Frontier......all other visual indications are that is a Gruen module (that is, one they had made especially for them) - they did that for a short period and then switched to almost strictly Hughes.

Not marked as such, But has the same button layout as my other Frontier modules, and carrier is of the same size (fits my Frontier case). The original case in which I found this module was only marked USA, and has Hong Kong clasp. It is made of Stainless Steel, but is not of great quality...Feels like a cheap watch to me.
If you say its Gruen...so be it ;-) Thanks for the help in identifying :mrgreen:
I removed "Frontier" from the subject title since I was wrong.
If you have seen, worked on, or know anything special about this neat module...Please share with us what you know.
Thanks

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: Gruen 640 module with Flick-Wrist

Post24 Aug 2012, 18:04

I'm not saying it positively is Gruen, but the battery contacts on the module, the clip shape and screw in the center of the battery clip, the semi-opaque board and yes, the flick-switch dropped in like that...I've seen all of them in a Gruen a number of times. Just doesn't look like Frontier's construction at any point. Front of the module would be interesting....

Was just digging through manuals here(I keep them seperate and alphabetized)....yeah, I'm thinking it is from Gruen's Telestar series, which specifically didn't have Hughes modules(different frequency quoted in manual).
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Aug 2012, 19:29

bruce wegmann wrote:Just a note of clarification here...to Ade51...many Pulsars had the Auto-Command function. All P4s, some Touch-Command Dress, and maybe a few Sport watches, that, by accident or design, got the special 501 modules. On the Calculators, the 901 did not have either the AC or DOW functions; the 902 had both. It's the 903 that has the second-flick-for-date feature.

Thanks Bruce - I didn't even know about the 903 module

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Aug 2012, 19:32

BENRUS wrote:[Here it is lit up in its original case, but pictured next to the case I decided to house it in: :-D

Thanks for the picture - I may start looking out for these.
Last edited by Ade51 on 24 Aug 2012, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Aug 2012, 19:48

retroleds wrote:(different frequency quoted in manual).

Since all signs point to this being Gruen...I've nothing to argue :-D
Unfortunately, This module is not 100% working...needs a new QC (flakes out when it wants, but mostly when its warm...gets a solid "0" in random spot).
That being said...what to do :-?
Just another watch I've no interest in fixing ~:(
P1600214.JPG

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post25 Aug 2012, 15:09

So what does the printing below the display say? Hantronix?

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Aug 2012, 19:33

retroleds wrote:So what does the printing below the display say? Hantronix?

Just says: Made in USA

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post02 Oct 2014, 23:58

Here's a photo of my Gruen module. The tiny sticker reads: Model Gruen 909SW.

I'm in the process of ordering a < 1mm screwdriver set so that I may remove the battery clip retaining screw, clean up this vintage module and possibly replace the gold tone band. Could this module have been produced by one of the Japanese hi-tech giants (ie Sony, Seiko, Sanyo)?

The band is also affixed to the case with these tiny screws in lieu of spring bars -- what gives with that? :x

Jason

:pimp: '70s LEDs until the end of time!
"We are showroom dummies"- Kraftwerk

Return to All other LED watches