• Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Gruen. Is this wire bond problem??

Post22 Nov 2012, 01:51

Hi all. Picked this little gem up with both inner and outer boxes :-D
Now the bad bit as you can see in the pics below it's missing 2 segments :-(
Is it wire bond issues? if it is? Can it be fixed cost effectively or is it easier to find a module.
So sad she's a beauty IMO I tried my best with the shot of the module to get the info sorry.
My camera abilities are crap.

Gruentest.jpg
gruenmod.jpg

Actually after previewing it there not bad considering I used my phone :lol:
And now I've seen it on my lappy looks like wire bonds defo or is it me?
Thanks in advance PETE W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Gruen. Is this wire bond problem??

Post22 Nov 2012, 17:59

With damaged wire bonds I have always found that it is cheaper to replace the module than to have it repaired. Considering the module beyond economical repair I would firstly give it a vinegar (or formic acid), bicarb, distilled water bath just to see if cleaning the crud off has any effect.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post22 Nov 2012, 19:29

Bucko is right. It´s more or less impossible to rebond this unless you clean it very carefully (and probably destroy even more bondings). Moreover I am not sure if the display die or at least the pad on the display still have a clean enough surface so that the new bond sticks to it.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Nov 2012, 20:45

Give us a good picture of the button placement of module or case and I'm sure somebody come help with a replacement . I have a few NS and HA modules with the 2,4 o'clock and 1,3 o'clock that will work. some times just a missing segment is hard to repair but you have nothing to loose by given it a bath.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post22 Nov 2012, 22:33

Guys.. Thanks very much

Bucko I'm gonna have a closer look but it looks like it's been stabbed Not crud, any way your right a bath can't hurt.
I've never given a module a bath before.. Is there a previous thread explaining this in detail or.. Can you run me through it slowly, like, which is best or do I
do all of them, and for how long in what order etc. Sorry for being so green about these things. I just hope I can return the favour by passing on my knowledge
of floor laying sometime but I doubt it somehow :lol:
Here's some more pics. Sorry but that was the best pic I could get of the wire bond damage. And theres one below showing button positions to see if you have a match phasar
Thanks again ALL
Gruen rtdgt.jpg
gruenmodbk.jpg

gruenmod.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post23 Nov 2012, 00:16

gruenmodsde.jpg

Button placement is 1 and 3 and the functions go..
1st press HR:MIN press and hold shows MIN:SECS
2nd press MNTH:DAY
Pretty standard I think??????
If anyone has one of these please post or pm me with price.
I don't think a bath is gonna be successfull

I'm gonna wait till it's fixed then I'll post the candy shots with box's
Thanks again PETE

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post23 Nov 2012, 03:44

The bath is a long shot but the way I see it if it already gone it cannot hurt giving it a try and if it doesn't work hitting it with a hammer is a good way to release frustration. :lol:

I am not sure that there is a correct method but I put them in vinegar for 8 mins, bicarbonate of soda to neutralise the acid for 8 mins (nice fizz) then distilled water for 8 mins to clean it off.

The photo's are difficult to see but if the wire bond is loose the bath is obviously not going to work.

The success rate I have had is quite low but I only ever attempt the bath on the modules which I consider to be past the point of economical repair.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post23 Nov 2012, 14:39

bucko170 wrote:The bath is a long shot but the way I see it if it already gone it cannot hurt giving it a try and if it doesn't work hitting it with a hammer is a good way to release frustration. :lol:

I am not sure that there is a correct method but I put them in vinegar for 8 mins, bicarbonate of soda to neutralise the acid for 8 mins (nice fizz) then distilled water for 8 mins to clean it off.

The photo's are difficult to see but if the wire bond is loose the bath is obviously not going to work.

The success rate I have had is quite low but I only ever attempt the bath on the modules which I consider to be past the point of economical repair.

Thanks Bucko "HAMMER at the ready" M:)W:)M

It looks to me they've been at least moved cos they're not straight.
guess there's some clumsy numpties out there :roll:
not least me

I'll have to hope someone has one of these I guess. Shame I would av liked to keep it as original as pos.
Forgot to say before its 29mm diameter again and nearly 9mm deep.
Can anyone tell who made it? NSC maybe? Jim's got one up on the bay but it doesn't look the same.
Ive never seen one with those little discs soldered in the battery hatches before!!

Thanks again PETE

Return to All other LED watches