It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 07:12

HELP WITH REPAIR AND IDENTIFICATION OF COMPUCHRON WATCH

• Author

retrodog

HELP WITH REPAIR AND IDENTIFICATION OF COMPUCHRON WATCH

Post09 Dec 2012, 14:49

Hello everyone! I picked up this CompuChron watch yesterday at a boot sale and knowing nothing about the subject, thought I would post on here and ask for assistance! The watch is not working, I have tried replacing the batteries (2xLR44) but still cannot get any joy. Is it beyond repair? And also, any advice on finding out what the model is called, cannot find anything on the casing. Thank you everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: HELP WITH REPAIR AND IDENTIFICATION OF COMPUCHRON WATCH

Post09 Dec 2012, 16:14

retrodog wrote:Hello everyone! I picked up this CompuChron watch yesterday at a boot sale and knowing nothing about the subject, thought I would post on here and ask for assistance! The watch is not working, I have tried replacing the batteries (2xLR44) but still cannot get any joy. Is it beyond repair? And also, any advice on finding out what the model is called, cannot find anything on the casing. Thank you everyone!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum :-D

Without having the watch examined it would be impossible to give a definite answer as to whether the watch can be repaired, however I could offer some info that might be of use, the watch contains a 29mm Hughes Aircraft module and replacements salvaged from other old watches can still be found but before going down that path I would advise you to have a closer look at the module, pop off the case back and you should be able to remove the module from the case, once out of the case have a close look at the contacts on the side of the module and the contacts inside the battery wells, check for contamination from battery acid, anything nasty will be obvious, if all looks good it would be a good idea to clean all the contacts - a fibre tipped pen is ideal for this job, give it clean up, replace it in the case and try with fresh batteries (silver oxides are best) it still might not work but it is definitely worth trying - good luck :-D

retrodog

Post13 Dec 2012, 10:35

Thank you so much for the advice, I am going to give it a go! Well, here's another question which proves my ignorance on the subject - how do you get the back off?!! It's probably very obvious, but if you could advise, that would be great! Thank you!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Dec 2012, 18:04

The CompuChron's had different case backs depending on the model......

For the first type unscrew the battery ports and remove the batteries, look around the edge of the case back there will either be a small notch or a part of the case back that over hangs at the strap area to facilitate it's removal.

The second one will have a small notch along the edge of the case back to facilitate it's removal. you might have to look closely as it can be quite subtle.

Some case backs pop straight off without a problem but others can be really tight and buggers to remove, either way be careful as it is easy to slip and scratch the case back, if you look on eBay there are loads of different case back removing tools for sale or take it to the jewellers and ask them to remove it for you.

Return to All other LED watches