It is currently 09 May 2024, 01:58

Unusual Dr. Suriano 1970's LED Game Watch

• Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Unusual Dr. Suriano 1970's LED Game Watch

Post02 Feb 2013, 16:35

I spotted this watch on Peter Wenzig's site (http://www.digitalwatches.de/ENGLISH_INDEX.HTM under 'LED watch specials') The watch was made by Time Unique, San Jose/USA, ca 1976 and displays hours, minutes, seconds, month, DOW and date it is stamped Dr. Suriano on the front of the crystal, the interesting thing about the watch is it was the first ever made electronic wrist watch with a game function, the bottom of the display has a game of dice activated by the press of the lower command button.

I was fascinated with the watch and was given permission from Peter to reproduced the photo's on the forum.

Has anyone ever seen anything similar?

Does anyone have any additional information relating to the watch?

Peter has lots of rare and unusual watches on his site both to view and to buy and I would highly recommend a visit to his excellent site.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Unusual Dr. Suriano 1970's LED Game Watch

Post02 Feb 2013, 17:18

Never seen it before...really remarkable. The question is...who is Dr Suriano ?

maybe not only the first game watch..but the first digital game also?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Ambermile

Post15 May 2014, 21:17

Hi all - just joined your site because I wanted to know more about this watch and it's history. Obviously a Google search brought me here but offers little or no other information other than that given on the Magic Digitals website. Thing is, I have one of these, working properly (although I suspect it either had a new red face fitted or was never made with the "DR SURIANO" across the face. I suspect the latter as the current face is a perfect fit and looks like it belongs there) and want to know what to do with it - selling being the main option... I have a couple of CompuChron LEDs, a Fossil, an Accurist, etc. but this is not really my style to be honest!

Any info or pointers to info would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post15 May 2014, 21:29

Does yours have the game?

Ambermile

Post15 May 2014, 21:33

Yes, the two dice under the time. They will not work if the battery gets low, an interesting feature :D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post15 May 2014, 21:43

PM sent!

Ambermile

Post16 May 2014, 07:48

Guys - thanks for the PMs but... I really would like to find out a little about the watch before I think about whether to sell or not.

Ambermile

Post16 May 2014, 16:42

OK, update then. The module is (was) by Beltek, pcb has GMC etched on it. The "DR SURIANO" text on the front of the watch was presumably on the glass rather than the module as there is no sign of it on mine. A few more pics... and I will add a video later today.

Ambermile

Post16 May 2014, 17:43

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post16 May 2014, 21:21

Cool 8-)

Let me know when you decide on a price.

Where did you find it? What country are you in?

Ambermile

Post16 May 2014, 21:51

I'm in darkest Norfolk... way off the other end of the A52 from you :D

I got the watch on the off-chance it was working and the module would fit into my Compuchron body (25mm). One out of two (eventually) as once I got the module sorted it didn't fit! Then decided to try and find out what the two boxes were on the front of the module since (at that point) they did nothing I could see. It was only after I finally fitted new (read decent - renata) batteries that the truth dawned - and I found out that there was very little info available on this watch or the designer. Not even sure why Dr Suriano really - just the man(?) that came up with the idea and sold it to MWC? Who knows.

I have no idea how to price it, I realise that there are (possibly) only two known to be around but even so - tough call. I think if I do sell it then I would have to let an auction site (I hate them!) do it and let market forces carry the day - seems fairest.
Last edited by Ambermile on 17 May 2014, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post16 May 2014, 22:07

Lucky finds are the best ones. ;-) Congratulations on finding a rare one, I have no idea on the value either, if I was looking to sell I would be thinking along the same lines as you, eBay auction and let it find it's own value, if you are not feeling brave you could always stick a reserve on it.

If you do decide to sell give me a nudge, I would probably have a bid or two on it.

Ambermile

Post17 May 2014, 18:59

Hmm. I wrote to Peter yesterday asking him if he had more information about these watches... he tells me has one the same as mine (as well as the one displayed on the website with "DR SURIANO" on the front), and the only information he has is that they were made by Time Unique, San Jose/USA, in around 1976. That means there are at least three of these still in circulation - not many even then!

It is not, as I said, the watch for me and as such I feel it must be sold. Peter has given me a ballpark idea of the value - assuming a seller that is looking for such a watch knows it is for sale - so I ask for advice here. Should I sell it on Ebay and it's associated fees (although as such there is a certain amount of protection) or should it be a private sale (say on here or somewhere similar?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post17 May 2014, 20:29

I would offer here first and if it doesn't sell send it to eBay - no selling fees here on the DWF. ;-)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post17 May 2014, 21:33

Never sell on the bay if you don't have to. Here are people spending a lifetime collecting these gems just for the passion of these watches. They will cherish and do everything to keep these gems in perfect shape for future collectors.

It would be hard to see somebody with to much money and no respect for these watches buy them just for having them till they see a new gadget.

And yes Bucko is a serious collector :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Ambermile

Post20 May 2014, 20:54

This is now for sale in the for sale section... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7274

Return to All other LED watches