• Author

laptop

Techie

Techie

CompuChron LED Calculator

Post07 May 2013, 04:36

Hi guys,
Im in trouble again :no:
I bought two LED Calculator watches, but both in a non-working condition and BOTH disassembled :scratch:
One of them I cleaned a bit and kind of put back together and wants to work (the calculator works great so far). But I'm having difficulties to put the little contacts/clamps back.
Could anybody please help me showing me the proper way to insert it; as far as position (little clamps facing outwards-inwards?!), sequence (before inserting the module on the case or after, etc), etc etc.
Also, I would like to bring to your attention that one is a CompuChron and the other one is a Battlestar Galactica Series version (both Hughes). Are the clamps different?! Maybe thats why I cant put it back together?!
The CompuChron is the one that will survive, but I would like to know, which one is the most appreciated by collector, (I personally prefer the "squareness" of the CompuChron) :ha: ?! (I want to save both but unfortunately only one module is good).
Any help is more than welcome.
Thank you.
Compu Chron LED Calculator.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible is only a point of view!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: CompuChron LED Calculator

Post07 May 2013, 07:58

A couple of clues that might help can be found here http://www.crazywatches.pl/compuchron-h ... r-led-1976 and in this thread here viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3390&p=21059&hilit=mercury+calculator#p21059 the thread discusses the correct position for the spring clips.

Good luck ;-)

I prefer the rounded edges of the Hughes http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/hughes1.htm, the links to Battlestar Galactica might also push up the value a little (just my opinion though ~:( ) http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/h ... lestar.htm

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post08 May 2013, 04:09

Hi Mick,
Thank you for the info, I will work on it this week and I will post the result. BTW, my clips looks different from the ones shown; I believe they are for the Battlestar Galactica version, not to the CompuChron. :scratch:
Thank you again. :Hi:

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 May 2013, 07:24

Hi.

I just got one of these Hughes calculator watches too - one of the edgy, silver cased models. The case is made of some odd type of metal (some type of zinc alloy, perhaps?). It's not stainless steel but is quite a bit lighter, which actually makes the watch easier on the wrist than it might be if it were stainless. Despite the chunky thick case and the sharp edges, it's actually surprisingly wearable.

I like the way that the face of the watch has a certain anthropomorphic character - fierce and perhaps not too bright. It bears a certain resemblance to the original Ceylons, don't you think (see below)?

Cheers,

-abe.

Hughes Calculator, silver, almost unworn:
DSC_7617 (900x600).jpg

See any similarities?!
DSC_7598 (900x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 May 2013, 19:17

I must have one, beautiful.

However, I don't think the Cylons were from Ceylon :scratch: but I do see the resemblance!

:-P

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 May 2013, 00:37

Geoff,

Doh. Yes, oops, Cylons, of course. I (fictitiously) blame the spell checker.

In searching for images of 1970s era Cylons, one thing that I ran across that I didn't remember from the original series was that there were apparently both gold and silver Cylons with the gold colored ones functioning as commanders. Likewise, there were both gold and silver colored calculator watches used in the original TV series, with the gold ones being worn by the commander.

-abe.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 May 2013, 08:38

I put together a web page with more info and photos on the Hughes Calculator:
http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/l ... index.html

In particular, I love this vintage advertisment with the dramatic Saturn V background:
hughes-calculator-wach-ad.jpg

-abe.

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post11 May 2013, 16:57

Ohhh my ...!!!!!
I loved this ad!!!
WOW :eek:
Thank you Abe for sharing :-D

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 May 2013, 19:10

I remember being mesmerized by the Saturn V and drawing pictures of it as a kid. There's still something about it, aesthetically, with the huge F1 engines, the fins at the base, and the stepped profile from first stage to third stage to capsule that conveys power and motion.

I wonder how many kids (well, maybe not just kids) absolutely drooled over this advertisement in 1977.

-abe.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post12 May 2013, 15:52

I definately see the parallel with the Cylon Abe. Never thought about it before, but you are right.
I used to love Battlestar Galactica as a kid. It was awesome :mega:

Interesting that they refer to the watch as a "Timeulator". I've never heard of this reference before. I guess the marketing people thought it was a good idea, but it never really stuck.

Rgds.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post13 May 2013, 14:01

The Timeulator is a trademark of Keith Ian Co. with 1977 copyright.
It appears to be a private-label (no-name) branding of either dedicated or excess stock.
Hard to say how these were successful but having seen many as unbranded or Hughes branded it is likely that Hughes made them for anybody willing to market them in retail.
Still I would imagine that they needed to have exclusive rights for certain markets, states or distribution channels.

btw. I would believe that the crystals on these watches are made of thin plexi and not mineral, at least the ones I had were plastic.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post13 May 2013, 15:24

I read your description of the construction mentioning the plexi screens. Either the screen on mine is glass or it's like no plexiglass I've seen. It's very hard and completely scratch free, the edges are sharp, the front surface in completely flat, and, most convincingly, it feels cool to the touch, conduction heat the way glass does rather than plastic. Perhaps there were variations in construction?

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 May 2013, 15:47

Hughes, CompuChron & Mercury or are CompuChron and Mercury one of the same?

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post13 May 2013, 16:53

branding or rebranding is fairly easy....you only need plenty of cash...at least in those 70's.
now everybody can have his name on the dial
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post14 May 2013, 04:41

It's ALIVE :-D
Thank you guys :grin1:
Compu Chron Led Calculator 02.jpg

I believe that is not the right box :oops:

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post14 May 2013, 10:35

the box appears to be original to the watch.
moreover jewelers swapped boxes among watches pretty often especially when boxes were sourced locally on the market

Return to All other LED watches