It is currently 21 May 2024, 23:37

Need help with Sinclair Black LED

• Author

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Need help with Sinclair Black LED

Post13 May 2013, 11:47

hi, after many years I have decided to acquire the worst LED watch in history and grabbed a Sinclair.
now I can confirm that the craftsmanship was truly very poor.
my watch has been completely consumed by battery acid but after an hour of cleaning it surprisingly lights up.
the components on the board appear to be very robust and safely sealed but the rest was not designed to last.
unfortunately all the traces on the flexible plastic tape have disappeared and I need to recreate them with a thin copper wire.
however....I have no reference on how these traces were positioned and don't want to perform a trial and error approach.
can someone post some useful pics of the modules and traces?
I understand there were a few generations and the layouts changed but can't really say which version I have.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Need help with Sinclair Black LED

Post13 May 2013, 13:03

I was going to photo both sides but got nervous about causing damage, it looks like the four metal clips are holding the module in place? If you give me guidance I could delve a little deeper if required.

This is an early model (I believe) no date function and widely spaced digits....

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post13 May 2013, 13:24

many thanks, mine is totally different with negative polarity on the left.
the module is held in the case with 4 pins that you need to lift with pliers.
however can you post of picture from top or rather from the battery perspective so I can see the traces going from the battery wells.

mine is a 1076 date code and was very likely one of the last if I'm not mistaken.
the awkward thing about it is a copper-foil wrap all over the module.
I'll post some pics but the condition is very poor.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 May 2013, 13:38

If mine is different is a photo of the traces in my version of any value to you? I can try and take another photo if it is of any use but having just had a look they don't appear visible when viewed from the battery well in my model.

I wonder if Hanno might be the best person to ask, he posted eight days ago that the next SASM module will be for the Sinclair so chances are he has one already in bits.

Where is the date code?

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post13 May 2013, 14:16

thanks, will ask Hanno to share some pics.
the date code is on the Sinclair branded chip but for that you need to remove the module and unfold the flexible strap on the front....these are likely glued on permanently but with some kind of rubber glue and thus possible to remove.

Pauly

Geek

Geek

Post15 May 2013, 02:16

Is the module anything like this one?
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6095

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post15 May 2013, 12:20

hi,
my version is yet a different one and marked 070 on the PCB.
after checking it turns out that the negative is on the right side after all so someone must have placed the dead parts randomly.

the module is wrapped in copper foil (insulated on the inside) which is soldered to the negative terminal so when pushing the setting button on the caseback you short two traces on the back of the PCB with the negative polarity. somehow more complex than the other (earlier?) versions.
the copper foil can easily short the buttons so no wonder these watches were often and easily fried.
in this example the foil is broken on the edge so needs to be soldered together.

the aluminium foil (setting connector) is missing on the caseback.

Return to All other LED watches