Odd problem, with TWO Hughes modules

• Author

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Odd problem, with TWO Hughes modules

Post06 Jul 2013, 01:24

Hi Guys,

I have a weird problem, with a watch which contains a Hughes module...actually, I have TWO of them, with Hughes modules, which have the same problem: you can set the time and date on the watch, but it will NOT advance the time, under normal conditions. HOWEVER, if you hold down the button so that the seconds count off (and they do, and at just the right frequency, 60 seconds per minute), once it gets around to "00", then and ONLY then, will the minutes change/advance! Otherwise, you can leave the watch(es) alone for HOURS, and come back, and they seem to be frozen in time! That's pretty odd, huh? It's like, the modules want to work, and the displays are nice and bright, but unless you force it into the seconds mode, that's the only way to get the time to advance, otherwise. Any ideas? Ohh, and I did try cleaning the circuit boards with alcohol & fibre-tipped pen, to no avail. I learned that trick back in January, when your very helpful members suggested doing that, to solve a problem I was having with another Hughes module, back then...and, it worked! But, not this time. Thanks, Dodger :bang:

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Odd problem, with TWO Hughes modules

Post06 Jul 2013, 08:30

The battery which goes negative side down and has a side contact in the battery well supplies the power to run the clock (timer circuit) the other battery powers up the actual display. If the time is not advancing the most probable cause would be a bad connection with the negative side down battery, make sure that this side contact is clean and corrosion free and that the tip is making good contact with the battery, if the battery falls out when the watch is held upside down it's too loose, gently bend over the tip of the side contact to make a better contact with the battery.

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post06 Jul 2013, 08:44

Hey, thanks, Bucko! I would've never thought of that, and I'm eager to see if that does the trick, 'cause I could certainly use two more working Hughes modules. I'll try your idea tomorrow, and let you know how it goes. Thanks again! Dodger :-D

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Jul 2013, 17:55

Try new batteries, some of this modules are very sensitive to voltage drop from the batteries. Had a few ones like that in the past and that fix it.

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post06 Jul 2013, 18:46

Hi Bucko: well, I just got through trying your tip regarding that contact, and unfortunately it made no difference. Neither module will advance the minutes, unless you hold the button down and let the seconds tick off. Now, on both of these modules, they happened to be the type of Hughes modules where the contacts are clipped to the edge of the circuit board, and not soldered to it, so I removed the contact and gently cleaned both sides of the circuit board. I then checked the contact itself, to make sure there was no corrosion or tarnish present, and then I reinstalled the contact to the edge of the circuit board, making sure that the contact was slightly bent, so it would fully contact with the battery. But alas, it made no difference, with either of these modules. The only other thing I can think of is, maybe the solder needs to be reflowed, at that point of the circuit board? I'm rather doubtful that that will accomplish anything, though. Anyway, I do appreciate your efforts with the picture you provided, and also for taking the time to offer a suggestion as to a possible fix. Thanks very much!

Hi Phasar66: yeah, new batteries aren't the problem, as they both have new batteries in them. And, just to make sure the batteries were good, I tested them with my battery tester. But, thanks!

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Jul 2013, 20:47

What a bummer, this modules sometimes behave in strange ways, when working properly are one of the best time keepers. I had 3 in the past that new batteries fix malfunctions. The last one 2 days ago, I almost gave up on this one. time can be set, pushing the command button show the time and then seconds, but it only advance when the pusher was pressed, as soon as you release the time stop advancing. the 2 before that, one counted second very slow. All worked normal after new batteries were installed. Good luck friend.

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post06 Jul 2013, 22:25

Hi Phasar66: yep, it sounds like the latest one of yours was doing the exact same thing, as these two of mine...they will only advance the time as long as the button is pressed, counting off the seconds, but then when you release the button, the time stops advancing, altogether. Ahh, well.. thanks anyway, and cheers, from Florida! Dodger :mega:

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post06 Jul 2013, 22:41

Sorry it didn't work out :-(

Maybe it's the trimmer at fault?

Over to the experts I think......

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post06 Jul 2013, 22:55

Hi Bucko: well then, I guess at this point they may as well be scrapped, because I don't have the capability of installing new trimmers. Many years ago I could do that sort of thing, and was actually employed as a high-reliability solderer/assembler in a military/electronic firm, but my days of fine soldering are long since over. And, it would probably cost more to have it done by someone else, than the modules are worth, so I guess I'm back to square-one. But, thanks!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post06 Jul 2013, 22:58

Might be worth waiting to see if any one else has any further suggestions before giving up on them completely, it would be a shame to scrap them if they could be salvaged.

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post07 Jul 2013, 02:36

Hi Bucko, you're exactly right, I won't scrap them. What I meant to say was, I'll just add them to my watchparts pile for now, and maybe somebody can come up with a solution. It's rather odd that I have two of these with the same problem, and apparently Phasar66 had one like that too, recently. But, whatever the culprit is, maybe someone a lot smarter than I am, can figure out what's causing these modules to act the way they do. Except for not 'clocking' properly, they both have nice displays with no missing segments, etc., so maybe they can yet be salvaged. Here's hoping! Thanks, Dodger ;-)

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jul 2013, 17:24

if the basic tinkering hints do not help then the issue is deeper in the wirebonding.
check the traces on the back of the module and see where they protrude to the front and find the loose wirebond.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post07 Jul 2013, 21:00

Hi Azimuth, I guess my eyes are just not as good as they used to be, but I looked at them with both a jeweler's loupe and a magnifying glass, and I just could not determine that there were any loose wire bonds that I could see, on these modules. If loose wire bonds are the problem, do you know of anyone who does that sort of repair? And if so, how much would it cost to repair them? Thanks very much, Charles

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jul 2013, 21:14

The issue can always be within the chip itself but it's worth to check each bond.
The best way to check loose wirebonds is move them with a hair tip, flexible enough not to damage good bonds but will show the loose ones.
Hanno does wirebonding but it is expensive. You can do repairs with silver epoxy but that is does not always hold.
Hughes modules are not that expensive if you buy a beat up watch so that would be my best workaround.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

dodger1954

Geek

Geek

Post07 Jul 2013, 21:23

Hi Azimuth, yes, I figured it might cost more to send them off for repair, than the modules are worth, so I guess I'll just look around for some beat-up watches, for module-swapping candidates. But, I do thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it is very much appreciated! Cheers, Dodger :-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jul 2013, 22:08

Would it be of any value to give them a vinegar, bicarb, purified water bath?

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jul 2013, 22:17

Well, it depends on the condition. The issue is clearly someplace else.
Removing battery acid residues is helpful when a module has shorts or is acting weird.
Also using vinegar must be used with care.
If a module is corroded due to battery acid but does work using vinegar might loosen the bonds that merely hold and you'll end up with a dead module.

Return to All other LED watches