this hobby is cruel sometimes

• Author

Plato

Geek

Geek

this hobby is cruel sometimes

Post04 Dec 2013, 18:14

the highs
I buy a wittnauer polara led on ebay for a good price!
it polishes nicely and I manage to fix the strap
I wear it for a day and it looks great
I show it to my friend who has a retro watch website.... he doesn't do led watches but likes it and wants to buy it!

the lows
I go for 20 minute run and am wearimg ther watch
it doesn't get bumped and I don't sweat much
a few hours later wheb I next check the time it is showing the dreaded single digit of death

:bang:

Plato

Geek

Geek

Re: this hobby is cruel sometimes

Post04 Dec 2013, 18:15

sorry I'm terrible at spelling when using my mobile

:-(

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Dec 2013, 20:19

Oh no, the dreaded SDOD. My condolences.

I've had this happen before and usually the watch will return to normal behavior under cooler, less sweaty / humid conditions. If it does return to working condition, then I guess the Polara is destined to be relegated to a dress watch rather than an everyday / workout watch.

Good luck. And yes, it can be crushing sometimes, both to the spirits and the pocketbook.

-abe.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post04 Dec 2013, 21:07

I am not the best repairman here, but afaik single digit of death is nearly always a broken quartz crystal? So maybe not the worst fix ever. I find missing segments of death much worse since the micro soldering is harder than swapping the quartz. And a quartz is available from every rundown 1 dollar trash watch.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jan 2014, 15:18

I was always thinking that any proper frequency quartz can be used to repair most dead watches.
What do you guys think about Phasar's recent finding on using a surface mount quartz instead of generic tube type that did not want to work:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6804
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jan 2014, 08:49

azimuth_pl wrote:I was always thinking that any proper frequency quartz can be used to repair most dead watches.
What do you guys think about Phasar's recent finding on using a surface mount quartz instead of generic tube type that did not want to work:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6804

In reality, I agree Piotr. Most readily available 32k quartz crystals will fix a watch with a dead QC. However, QCs have a specified load capacitance (which is basically made up of the trimmer and capacitor in a watch module). I am guessing that the SMT QC that Phasar has used requires a load capacitance that this Russian bad-boy is providing (and conversely the other QCs he tried require a different capacitance).
Rewolf gave a good summary here:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3076&p=18356&hilit=PIERCE#p18356

Rgds.

Return to All other LED watches