It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:53

Frontier module

• Author

Coelho

Frontier module

Post02 Jul 2014, 11:17

Dear Friends, Recently replaces a quartz crystal of a Frontier module, because as you know old crystals oscillate faster, therefore Advances! However after replacing the quartz crystal my Frontier continues to advance more than expected to a quartz clock. Can anyone help me to know why?
Hug.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Re: Frontier module

Post02 Jul 2014, 20:48

Coelho wrote:Dear Friends, Recently replaces a quartz crystal of a Frontier module, because as you know old crystals oscillate faster, therefore Advances! However after replacing the quartz crystal my Frontier continues to advance more than expected to a quartz clock. Can anyone help me to know why?
Hug.

The reason your watch is advancing in time, assuming the new quartz crystal is good, is because the quartz crystal is not being loaded with the correct value of load capacitance. Frontier LED modules all have two capacitors in the oscillator circuit. One is a fixed surface mount capacitor with a value of around 24 pico farads, the other a "trimmer" capacitor which can be adjusted from about 5-35 pico farads. Stray capacitance of the input and output of the oscillator amplifier, plus other parasitic substrate capacitance adds to the value of these two capacitors. The "trimmer" adjust can be seen through a hole in the plastic carrier on the backside of the module and the hole in the battery clip on some modules. Without instrumentation to indicate the frequency at which the quartz is actually oscillating makes it a bit difficult to get the oscillator set to 32.768KHz, the ideal frequency for no gain or loss of time. One way of trying to reduce the error is to adjust the trimmer capacitor in the module with a small bladed screwdriver, ideally made from a non metallic material. Which direction to turn the adjustment depends upon which way the trimmer capacitor was installed on the substrate during the manufacturing process. Try the following "hit and miss" method to reduce the error. This process will take a week or so to complete, so be patient.

1.Access a known time standard on the internet such as the U.S. official time @;

http://time.gov/HTML5/

2. Enter the "set" mode of the module and set "minutes" to one minute ahead of the"time standard". (The hours, month, date, day of the week do not have to be set correctly.) Sync the modules "minutes" with the "time standard", that is, in the "set" mode with a "blinking" cursor showing in the display of the module, push the "command" button of the watch when the "time standards" seconds roll over to "00". This will sync the modules "seconds" with that of the standard. For instance; if the "time standard" shows 12:05:19 pm, set the modules minutes to indicate XX:06. At this point continue to push the "set" command button until you obtain a "blinking" cursor. As the "time standard" rolls over from 12:05:59 to 12:06:00 engage the "command" button to sync the module to the "time standard". Once this is done, pushing the modules "command" button and holding it down will show the seconds of the module ticking off. They should be in sync with the "time standards" seconds.

3. Remove the watch case back. Since you already know that the time is running fast, adjust the "trimmer capacitors" adjustment in either direction about 1/4 turn. Note which direction, from the original setting you turned the adjustment. At this point you wait for 24-48hrs. or so to see if the module is still running fast. In order to check, you must have the modules battery clip in electrical contact with the watch case, otherwise the display will show nothing when the "command" button is pressed. Rather than removing and replacing the watch case back every 24-48hrs., use a piece of aluminum foil to make contact between the battery clip and the watch case as you press the "command" button. Hold the "command" button down so that you can see the "seconds" ticking off and compare them with the "time standard". Make a note as to the difference of seconds between the "time standard" and the module. Still running fast? Re-sync the module with the "time standard" as outlined in step 2 above. Turn the "trimmer" adjustment another 1/4 turn in the same direction as noted earlier. Wait another 24-48hrs and re-check the sync between the "time standard" and the module. Again note the time difference in seconds between the "time standard" and the module. Repeat if the module is still running fast. If the module has "lost" time, re-sync with the "time standard" and re-adjust the "trimmer" a very small amount in the OPPOSITE direction from the starting direction. You can continue the above procedure until your satisfied with the modules time keeping ability.

4. If you never find a point in the adjustment range of the "trimmer" that the modules time will not go from being fast to slow, either the new quartz crystal is being driven to hard and forced to oscillate at a higher frequency or mode, is too far off frequency to be pulled on to 32.768KHz with the load capacitances presented, the "fixed" surface mounted capacitors value is to low, or the "trimmer" itself is faulty.

Some jewelers have instrumentation to indicate how fast or slow the quartz oscillator is running without removing the module from the case. They can also pop the back from the case to adjust the oscillator in real time. You might check with jewelers in your area. If worse comes to worse, send me your module and I can tweak it to correct its time keeping ability, no charge, you pay postage both directions.

Hope this long winded post helps.

Joe

Coelho

Post03 Jul 2014, 17:24

And much thanks! Excellent explanation and help. I suspected that the problem was the trimmer. But also not be of the quartz crystal, since bought a capacitance of 12.5PF?

Coelho

Post18 Jul 2014, 15:21

Also related to the module Frontier, I have another problem that needs help. When I press the button to check the time, often what comes first is the date. Or the time comes, but the date appears immediately, without having pressed the button again, and I can hardly see the seconds. It seems that when I press the button once, is given as you press up twice.
And once the data, I do not have access to seconds!
Best regards.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post18 Jul 2014, 16:30

Coelho wrote:Also related to the module Frontier, I have another problem that needs help. When I press the button to check the time, often what comes first is the date. Or the time comes, but the date appears immediately, without having pressed the button again, and I can hardly see the seconds. It seems that when I press the button once, is given as you press up twice.
And once the data, I do not have access to seconds!
Best regards.

Obtain a piece of aluminum foil about 10"X 4". Fold the aluminum foil length wise until you have a 10" X 1" strip. Twist about 4" of one end of the 10" X 1" strip tightly until it is about the diameter of a piece of knitting yarn. Fold the non-twisted (flat end of the 1" strip of foil) onto itself until you have about 3"-4" of flat surface. You should end up with a piece of foil with one end that is about 3"- 4"s of "flat" surface and 4" of "twisted" surface. Place the flat surface of the foil so that it is in contact with the battery clip of the module. Use the "twisted" end of the foil to touch the contacts of the module to activate the various functions, just like you would when the module is in the case. If the results are satisfactory, then your problem lies in the case button.

Joe

Coelho

Post25 Jul 2014, 14:19

Many thanks for the tip. However I wonder if the problem lies in the small rubbers, I believe, with some conductive material, which establish contact between the box and the clock circuit. Will require some cleanup or are old?

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post25 Jul 2014, 17:50

Coelho wrote:Many thanks for the tip. However I wonder if the problem lies in the small rubbers, I believe, with some conductive material, which establish contact between the box and the clock circuit. Will require some cleanup or are old?

Does the module work OK when testing using the "aluminum foil" method outlined in my earlier post? The contacts are silver impregnated silicon rubber. They will tarnish and turn black over a period of time, but I have never had one fail to conduct and make contact between the button/case and the contact surface. Since the display turns on when you press the button (although is may not indicate correctly), indicates that contact is being made between the button/case, rubber contact and the palladium silver contact pad of the modules substrate. If the answer to testing the module outside the case with the aluminum foil is "YES", then the problem lies within the button or the button/case interface contact. If the answer to testing using the aluminum foil in "NO", then the module may very well have problems. I do have new "rubber contacts" available.

Joe

Coelho

Post28 Jul 2014, 10:21

Joe, dear friend, thank you again for your attention. I want to acquire these rubbers! How much for two?
Hug.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post28 Jul 2014, 16:08

Coelho wrote:Joe, dear friend, thank you again for your attention. I want to acquire these rubbers! How much for two?
Hug.

The rubber contacts are FREE. Send me a PM with your mailing address.

Joe

Coelho

Post28 Jul 2014, 22:48

First! Thank you for your attention! By the way, what do you mean by "PM"?
Hug.
Last edited by Coelho on 29 Jul 2014, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post28 Jul 2014, 23:55

Coelho wrote:First! Thank you for your attention! By the way, what do you mean by "PM"?
My email is: jose.antonio @ cff.com.pt
Hug.

PM stands for "Private Message". I also e-mailed you this information.

Joe

Coelho

Post12 Aug 2014, 19:09

Joe, my friend, already replace the rubber from Frontier module, and could tune the clock already, I can say that this perfect! Grace to you all, so I can only say again, thank you for your help. Good health and happiness is what I wish with all my he

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post13 Aug 2014, 02:22

Coelho wrote:Joe, my friend, already replace the rubber from Frontier module, and could tune the clock already, I can say that this perfect! Grace to you all, so I can only say again, thank you for your help. Good health and happiness is what I wish with all my he

Coelho,

Glad to hear that the contacts arrived, installed OK and your module is now working correctly.

Beast Regards,

Joe

Return to All other LED watches