It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:37

Possible repair or replacement of Frontier module

• Author

LEDman7

Nerd

Nerd

Possible repair or replacement of Frontier module

Post02 Jul 2015, 19:47

I have an LED watch I bought the other day from a thrift store that is in fairly good condition. I believe it has an alarm capability on it because it has the back cover with the typical openings for an alarm and also the springs on the inside of the module and the sound disk on the inside of the back cover. Anyway, I put new batteries in it and the only thing it did was light up an :8 or an :0 or just a 0. Can it be repaired or do I need a new module, and if so how could I obtain one -Frontier module?? It looks like one but it doesn't specifically say it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Re: Possible repair or replacement of Frontier module

Post03 Jul 2015, 02:32

That is most definitely a Frontier 2007 Alarm module. With only a single digit lighting indicates that the quartz oscillator in not running. You might try replacing the quartz crystal. If no luck with that, NOS modules are available.

Joe

LEDman7

Nerd

Nerd

Post03 Jul 2015, 04:04

Thanks Joe :-D I don't think I want to take a chance switching it on my own, I'm affraid I might screw something up. Do you know of anyone that could do it for me? I'm kind of on a budget right now, but I do want the watch fixed for sure. Would fixing it be a better option as to getting a NOS one? Please reply when you can thanks again.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post03 Jul 2015, 16:08

Hello Ledman7,

It would less expensive to try and replace the quartz crystal vs. replacing the module with a new one. If you are in the United States, I would be more than happy to replace the crystal for you at no cost other than the postage both directions. I do have both original quartz crystals and NOS alarm modules available. If you are located outside the United States I'm sure there are other members of the forum that could replace the crystal for you at a nominal fee.

Joe

LEDman7

Nerd

Nerd

Post03 Jul 2015, 19:24

That sounds like a good idea Joe. Please send me your mailing address and should I ship the module inside the watch or just by itself? Thanks.

LEDman7

Nerd

Nerd

Post03 Jul 2015, 19:35

Will the alarm still work after you put the new crystal in or just the regular normal functions of the watch?

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post03 Jul 2015, 20:18

LEDman7 wrote:Will the alarm still work after you put the new crystal in or just the regular normal functions of the watch?

If a new quartz crystal solves the problem of non-operation, all functions of the module should work after replacement. To insure that the alarm section of the module works in the watch case, it would be beneficial to have the watch case and back that holds the piezo crystal along with the defective module. Will Private Message you with my mailing address.

Joe

jdavid

Post04 Jul 2015, 17:33

Hi Joe I found this post particularly interesting as I have a Hamilton alarm watch that is fully working, but I would like another NOS module as a spare could you private message me regards to price and shipping address cheers Dave.Sorry forgot to mention I also require the pip that stops the module rotating in the case.Dave.

spinchb

Geek

Geek

Post11 Oct 2015, 09:56

Anyone have an extra metal plate for holding the batteries in? I received a watch with a working module but it was missing that part. I had no idea what it looked like and made something work, but it'd be nice to have the proper piece.

I'm totally digging the alarm function! :-D

Cheers,
Shawn

Return to All other LED watches