It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:39

Grima

• Author

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Grima

Post08 Oct 2015, 17:14

I spotted these a few weeks back, didnt want to post here until the auction was over (today) so as not to "piss on anyones parade". I've seen an item similar to the calculator before but never seen the ball pendant

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Grima

Post08 Oct 2015, 17:43

Love the pendant, looks a little like Stuart Devlins style of work, well at least inspired. Thanks for sharing

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Oct 2015, 16:10

Amazing find. I wonder who designed the Pulsar 18k calculator pocket watch. Could it be a Grima too ?

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Oct 2015, 21:34

I made the assumption the calc was Andrew Grima too, tho the auction house doesnt describe it as a Grima item

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post14 Oct 2015, 00:48

Both scream grima in my face. So how much was the final price and who got these?

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Oct 2015, 16:44

I know the ball sold 3800 swiss francs hammer, no idea who won it

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 Oct 2015, 02:12

From what I can gather In 1976 the Swiss / Geneva division of Pulsar made these pocket watches. Oldpulsars.com show the prototype designed by Jean Wuischpard with a different finish in gold-fill.

Oldpulsars notes that they where not made in 18k Gold or designed by Andrew Grima. So this is an amazing rare find !
From this Swiss Pulsar advertisement it mentions Andrew Grima. But from the translation it says Pulsar has collaborated with Andrew Grima. So this might be the confusion of him designing this particular model. I'm waiting for information from Andrew Grima wife to see if there was any involvement from Grima in the design. As we can see there are no Grima markings but it has his trademark hammered finish which can be seen on some of his Pulsar Grima LED collection.

The advert shows the Sterling silver Calculator pocket watch, and also a non calculator model which appears to be 18k.

Translation...

" everyone owns a watch that is precise enough. To change watches, one needs a reason that isn't rational, rather emotional. That is why Pulsar has collaborated with the most imaginative designers - notably, Andrew Grima. The results are here: Pulsar veers away from the "watch" to find itself in a completely different universe: the universe of gifts - the gifts close to the Jewel. This enables the watchmaker to touch a completely different client-base"

Here are some shots of the actual watch courtesy of the http://www.theledwatch.com

Last edited by Mr Frequency 32768hz on 17 Nov 2015, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Oct 2015, 14:36

Mr Frequency 32768 Hz said
" But from the translation it says Pulsar has collaborated with Andrew Grima "
This type of collaboration reminds me of an analogue Omega watch i once owned in 18 ct. It was signed A Grima but everything else indicated it was a straight Omega product, ie Omega part numbers, Omega stamps. I managed to speak to Francesca Grima, Andrews daughter, whom in broken English with a very strong French accent , managed to explain that the watch was designed by Grima in collaboration with Omega BUT actually produced by Omega - not the Grima studio. Maybe thats what we have here ?? Does it have any method of attaching an albert as per the pics ??

Grima- Omega Collaboration

Grima signed

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 Oct 2015, 15:10

As we know Andrew Grima worked on the Omega About time collection in the late 1960's early 70's designing one off pieces for Omega. Omega then carried on with similar designs. Like the 18k Pulsar pocket calculator using the Grima influence.

Here is a message from Francesca Grima.

As with the Omega collection, I am assuming, that Pulsar produced a collection of derive watches in the style of my father's original design but made by them (that would explain the lack of British hallmarks)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post23 Oct 2015, 16:00

ssssssst...just enjoying these beautiful pictures :-D

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Return to All other LED watches