It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:12

Where can I buy a desk magnifier for under $40?

• Author

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Where can I buy a desk magnifier for under $40?

Post15 Feb 2016, 15:57

Is there such a thing? One with magnification to work on a watch module. I've looked online for 8 hours straight and I've come up with NOTHING. I refuse to pay anything more. I can buy a hand held 90mm 10X magnifier for $5.00 shipped. Why does a desktop/gooseneck with 4X magnifier cost 5 times more?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Where can I buy a desk magnifier for under $40?

Post16 Feb 2016, 02:36

I paid $70 for a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom microscope that gives me 15-90X; good enough to do any kind of work on watch modules.
Best tool investment I have ever made. Cutting corners on essential tools is false economy.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post16 Feb 2016, 03:22

Ha, well that's a unique deal that you got. I won't even bother looking that up because I know it will be in the hundreds. That being said, I can't solder and look under a microscope at the same time. I have to give you credit for doing that. I also can't figure out how people can solder with those video microscopes either, but I guess I'm not as gifted as others.

I just bought a Hakko soldering iron station and a hole slew of supplies, so when I see magnifiers costing more, it kind of irks me. I think I will build my own.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post16 Feb 2016, 03:33

Ok... Some of them aren't as expensive as I thought. But I just can't see myself soldering and looking through a 'loupe' at the same time. It would certainly take a lot of practice.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Feb 2016, 05:27

The key word there is "practice". Working on watches without magnification by a loupe, microscope, or headband magnifier is inviting disaster or at the least failure. I have been doing it for over 50 yrs. By the way, some of the tools watchmakers use do cost money. Peter

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post16 Feb 2016, 10:21

and as you know...the bigger the lens the smaller the magnification. :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post16 Feb 2016, 10:48

"Working on watches without magnification by a loupe, microscope, or headband magnifier inviting disaster or at the least failure. "

Who here wouldn't agree with that? That's why I started this thread. But I've never worked on watches using a scope. It's like starting over. I used to have a magnifier with a clamp. But the magnification sucked and I had to put another magnifier over it. Then one day I broke it. What I'd like to replace it with is a desktop magnifier (no clamp) but no one seems to make a decent one. (IE: Real glass lens with good magnification)

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Feb 2016, 15:39

I do not use such devices at all, but why donĀ“t you get one of these USD19.- chinese magnification cameras with USB and use your Laptop as a microscope?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post16 Feb 2016, 17:15

Are you saying you don't use what's been mentioned here or you don't use magnification at all? You must have eyes like a hawk, if the later.

I've seen those USB cameras on YT. They have a motion delay (at least the one that I saw being reviewed) which would drive me nuts. The guy reviewing it claimed he could never solder using it. So he used it for inspection only. Incidentally... I don't own a laptop (can't stand them) but if I did, it would never go near my soldering iron. :) Plus the smell of solder permeates into plastic.

BTW, I find it odd that those cameras are cheaper than most desktop magnifiers.

Anyway, I ended up buying a (real) Optivisor...glass version. I'll probably hate it. And I'll probably need to use reading glasses in conjunction with it.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Feb 2016, 19:01

That's what I use for most general work. With a #3 or #5 lens. For really close up work I use a loupe 8-10 power. Can't solder with that tho. Peter

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post17 Feb 2016, 01:54

I got the #5 lens. You can get loops for these as well. I might try one but if I need a little extra magnification, I think I'll just add a cheap pair of reading glasses into the mix.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post17 Feb 2016, 08:43

Man, this tutorial of a 1080P USB microscope is painful to watch. I'm sure once he cleaned everything up it would be 'ok'. Go to the 17 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIWUFFlr2I4

(Warning, the guys voice is also painful)

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post17 Feb 2016, 14:30

Yes very painful !
He talks too much.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post22 Feb 2016, 00:45

Well, hawk eye here, so i usually don't use any magnification. For the few exceptions (One being the malicious "Omega La Magique") i usually use either a monocle style loupe (If it only takes a few minutes. these are kinda "painful" but offer awesome magnification) or what we call a "third hand" in german, that is kinda big loupe on a stand with a clamp to hold the module.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post22 Feb 2016, 15:35

Even though it may not seem like it, you hawk-eye's are straining your eyes with no magnification. Help your eyes out now and they will be kind to you in the future.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post23 Feb 2016, 03:29

Got the Optivisor today. It exceeds my expectations. I don't require any additional magnification (IE: Reading glasses). It's lighter and more comfortable than I thought it would be. The one I got is slightly older (Came in mostly a white box). The adjustable pivots at the side are aluminum, not plastic. The screws that hold the lens in are metal with nuts on the other end. I've read a few complaints that the screws holding the lenses can fall out over time. It not possible with this one.

Return to All other LED watches