It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:51

Longines Sterling silver...

• Author

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Longines Sterling silver...

Post06 Dec 2016, 08:38

I present to you a Longines solid and heavy sterling silver big block case with solid 14 kt gold accents. It contains a Hughes time and date with a twist, at least to me :scratch:

I purchased it as a non-working watch with what appeared to be no module in place. Untested of course. Well of course untested as a battery hatch was missing and there appeared to be no module. The case was tarnished black with half the Longines logo rubbed out and a plethora of fine scratches forming an opaque lens. Another reason I believed from the auction pictures that there was no module. I bought it expecting no module and for the case only.

Imagine my surprise when it arrived as described but with the original time/date Hughs module in place, I did mention that I thought there was no module :call: . Missing the battery hatch and badly beaten up I did what I usually don't do, went to work on it immediately without taking the prescribed before pictures.

Now to the module, once removed I noticed it was very clean. I had a Wittnauer Polaris case which was to serve as a donor for the battery hatch and module. The Polaris had a basic time/date with no twist to it. So back to the Longines, the hatch fit, in fact it was identical to the original remaining Longines. The module once cleaned and preserved was bright and as I proceeded to set it presented the following options:

0Y (Yes a leap year module)
    MONTH
    DATE
    DAY
    AM/PM
    HOUR
    MINUTE
    SECOND

That leap year prompt was a surprise. None of my Hamiltons or Breitling Hughes did that. Next was the ability to show continuous seconds. Select time as usual, hold the button to display seconds, while holding the button press and release both buttons. Seconds now display continuously, also new to me.

In a nutshell a month/date/day with hour/minute/seconds/continuous seconds and leap year.

The case was cleaned then soaked in a mild silver cleaner. The crystal removed, the top polished (removing Longines name) then flipped to expose the pristine underside which was also beveled like the top. Solid gold accents polished and a matching bracelet (generic) added. This is a big watch and gets noticed.

So some pictures of the watch:

The leap year prompt:

AM/PM prompt:

Date:

Day:

Geoff

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Longines Sterling silver...

Post06 Dec 2016, 18:49

Nice 8-)

Always a bonus when you find one with an extra special module with extra features such those that have an hidden message or are programmable.

I have one of very similar design, solid silver with gold inlay, branded 'Terrestrial'.

Terrestrial DWG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Dec 2016, 22:44

I love these big heavy solid silver lumps of the 70s. When i look at these Longines / Wittnnauer watches i always think "Elvis", its a watch i could see Elvis having lol. Great find

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Dec 2016, 10:37

Thanks all, I am into for $140.00 and it is a dress watch. Might get a wider strap that is flush with the outer case edge more like yours Bucko.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Dec 2016, 11:53

I posted one recently on DWF Geoff. Theres an advert out there somewhere. They also sold them with leather bands. Mines the same as your but silver case and gold plated, unfortunately mine are heavily engraved and not working.

DSC_4848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Dec 2016, 22:54

Standard Hughes module and therefore a Polara module will fit. This was my initial thought process for purchasing what I thought was a case only. The silver case deserves showing off. Fortunately mine was not engraved and the case is stamped "sterling silver, solid 14kt gold trim".

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Dec 2016, 23:53

Is your gold block the only solid gold? Is the area around the crystal gold? If not maybe we have the same case, mines just gold plated as well. I would have preferred a silver finish like yours. I do like the texture though.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Dec 2016, 01:18

It's states: Gold trim 14kt gold"

Witnauer and Longines had an agreement for a long time as to marketing. it was similar to the Omega TISSOT agreements back int the 40s - 79s.

Witnauer marketed slightly less quality, ie. gold plate not gold capped or solid gold.

The amount of polishing I did on the bezel and the name plate precludes gold plate.

The bezel will come out with a hot air dryer. It can then be replated and epoxied into place.

Geoff

Return to All other LED watches