It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:07

I’m Stumped! - National Semiconductor WM 02 Battery Connect

• Author

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

I’m Stumped! - National Semiconductor WM 02 Battery Connect

Post26 Aug 2022, 21:48

I purchased a mint (maybe NOS) Kienzle LED Chronoquartz about a year ago. I changing the batteries but I can’t figure out how to get the battery clips/connectors placed correctly. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to get things arranged inside the case back? Any help is greatly appreciated!

CCBFE3B9-8F0F-4F8C-B0F0-862E728276AA.jpeg

2983DA0E-3C58-4C83-8FEC-2E8D2B74A2B0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Shaun

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

Re: I’m Stumped! - National Semiconductor WM 02 Battery Conn

Post29 Aug 2022, 17:28

It lives! Thanks to Piotr from crazywatches.pl.

Kienzle LED Watch.jpg

From Piotr:
"Nice and rare German watch you have found, congrats.
The good thing is that it's a National Semiconductor fitted to thousands of different watches.
The clamps tended to differ over the years and I haven't seen the type you have. I have marked up the position in the attached picture.
The other clamp does not belong to this watch unless you have two rivets or welds in the case back corresponding with the two holes.

The correct clamp should lock into the holes in the module but the tips might be bent or broken. Worst case you can source a few dead modules on ebay or another watch and rob it for the clamp. It might look a bit different but will do the same job.
To start with you can close the circuit with the case back alone so it touches the batteries and also the case and test the module."

National Semiconductor WM 02 Watch Module.jpg

I figured that the larger metal clip belonged where he indicated but the smaller piece and the fact that I could only get LEDs to light up every once in a while and not consistently puzzled me. Even when trying the larger metal clip by itself I didn’t have any luck. I then I looked at the prongs underneath the batteries. They looked a little low and like they weren’t making good contact. So, I gently bent them upward a little bit. There are two prongs per battery but one broke off immediately when my tweezers touched it. I think it was probably already weakened and close to breaking. I was afraid that the broken prong would cripple the watch but once I put the batteries back in it lit up beautifully!

Thanks again, Piotr!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Shaun

Return to All other LED watches