Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Epsa optel battery changing

Post02 Mar 2007, 11:29

Hi,
I received this morning a beautifull Segtronic with epsa optel module.
How do you change the battery in it?
Is it a plug that I see at the back, do I just have to lever it?
Please help me quick!
I want to see it work!
olivier

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

re: Epsa optel battery changing

Post02 Mar 2007, 12:10

Yes. I have a Jules Jurgensen Optcom 1, and it is as simple as that. The first and only time I changed the battery (they last a long time), I didn't think that plug seemed very secure, but i've had no problems. It has a little rubber gasket on the underside that fits quite snugly with the case back. Enjoy the watch, I love that style. Ed has a couple on his site for sale at a reasonable price (as always :) ) and i'd recommend one to anyone.
The other day, my computer beat me at chess. It was rubbish at kick boxing though.

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

: Epsa optel battery changing

Post02 Mar 2007, 12:17

Hi,
that's fast thanks.
I'vea little problem opening the plug because i'm destroying the edge of it and can't get it open.
Any idea ?
warming up the case a little bit?
Olivier

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Post02 Mar 2007, 12:24

I've been able to test it with the battery in place ,because I stil can't open the back and it seems to work perfectly.
What a nice and massive watch!
I'm getting impatient to open the back but I don't want to destroy it...

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2007, 12:45

Hmm, I just looked at mine, and strangely enough it needs the battey changed. The battety hatch on your watch, assuming it is the same as mine, does seem more stubborn than mine. I could just remove mine by prising it up with a thumbnail.

I'n no expert, but my first thoughts are that the rubber gasket on your battery case has perrished and become stuck to the caseback, or worse still it's missing and the prevois owner has glued the back? But I wouldn't have thought they did that!!

You should easily be able to see the gasket even when the battery hatch cover is in place. The gasket sits just under the flat outer edge of the battery hatch cover, which overhangs it. If the gasket has perrished, I really dont know if it can be removed without breaking it. It's just an idea but I would consider using a tiny bit of WD40.

If the hatch has been glued, gentle heating, with a hair dryer, might break the glue seal, as the metal expands, but I realy dont think heating and LCD displays goes well together? I would personally sit on my hands, and wait till someone with more experience can advise :)
Last edited by Seer Taak on 02 Mar 2007, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
The other day, my computer beat me at chess. It was rubbish at kick boxing though.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2007, 12:47

Give me a few minutes, and i'll post some pics of mine so you can see what i'm on about

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Post02 Mar 2007, 13:05

great!

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2007, 13:21

Photo 1 - Watch in bits NOTE: you do not have to take the watch appart to change the battery, you only need to pop the small round battery hatch, on the caseback, off.

Photo 2 - Closer view. You can see the battery hatch cover with the black rubber gasket

Photo 3 - Case back with battery hatch removed. You can just make out the flange on the inside rim of the battery hatch, which grips the gasket.

Photo 4 - Reassembled. Sorry it's a little blurred, but you can still, just, see the rubber gasket of the battery hatch

Photo 5 - final working watch

Hope that helps a little :)
Last edited by Seer Taak on 02 Mar 2007, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post02 Mar 2007, 15:03

Hm, my avatar watch has the same type of battery hatch and I can open it with a fingernail.
You seem to have taken the whole watch back off - can you press the battery lid out from the inside?

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2007, 15:53

You're right rewolf. I just took the case back off to show a bit more watch detail to anyone that's interested. Sorry for the confusion. The battery hatch on mine also pops off easily. I've modified the earlier post accordingly :oops:

PS. I thouht about pressing the battery out from the inside too, that was another reason I took the watch appart, but I thought it would risk damaging the soldering, if whatever was use to press the battery slipped? I guess there's a risk in however the problem is tackled though :?

Higgie

Site Sponsor

Site Sponsor

Post02 Mar 2007, 20:19

Hint:
Is the battery stuck in the module? Use a magnet to pull it out, works all the time :-)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post02 Mar 2007, 20:56

@Seer Taak: The photos show your watch, but it's CompuChron's watch where the battery lid won't open - my posting was a little confusing :?
I thought CompuChron had already taken the whole back off ("I've been able to test it with the battery in place"), but re-reading I think I misunderstood that. Neither the back nor the battery list was removed yet.
Anyway, I'd try to get the whole back off and pop the battery lid out from the inside. Don't press on the soldered battery contact, and don't slip off the battery :wink:

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Post02 Mar 2007, 22:18

Hi guys,
thanks for all the inputs.
I had the module out of the case (to test it) but wasn't able to open the hatch.
I've put some wd40 , didn't work . I put some ice on the plug for a few minutes , a little more WD40 and ...plok , the plug flew in the sky:BINGO!
before that I tried from the inside but , it didn't work and was a bit risky, forbidden to slip here :oops:

I put some picture of my watch now , the pics are poor , but the watch is great , with its original band according to the pics I've found on the internet.
It works perfectly.
I love the discret and chic look of it (what a massive and bling bling watch!)

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2007, 23:55

Looks great CompuChron. These watches are big, but IMHO I think they're more wearable than some of the other chunky watches. Folk with big wrists probably dont have any problems, but I think there are a few watches that would look a little silly on my wrists.

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Post03 Mar 2007, 00:09

I posted the pics of "before" , I'll post the pics of "after" soon

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Post03 Mar 2007, 01:24

Here are some better pics after cleaning , slight polishing and displexing:

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Mar 2007, 16:29

Hey that came out looking really nice CompuChron, what did you use to polish and clean the watch?

and what is displexing?

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Post04 Mar 2007, 23:09

Hi,
Displex is using displex paste on the face to remove the scratches.
I just used a metal polish to clean it.It was a quick job , spent no more than 15 mn all together.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Epsa optel battery changing

Post14 May 2019, 19:52

Thank you all for this thread, my Optel battery finally died yesterday and before even attempting to pry open the battery cap I resorted to this valuable forum and learned a lot from the forum members feedback. Like the other Optel watches, my batter cap was also stuck as I was unable to pull it out. I ended up using a plastic pic prying tools you use when changing your iPad screens and it did the trick. It lifted just enough to get a screwdriver blade under the cap and I carefully and slowly lifted it up with the screwdriver blade evenly, I did not lift the screwdriver blade side to side as it would have damaged the cap lid edges. I also put a protective material under the screwdriver blade to prevent any case scaring from the metal to metal contact. I also thought I could push the battery cover from the inside however I was a bit worried about tapping the battery cell from the inside. The thought of slipping and damaging the DSM display was too much so I decided to work on the batter cap instead.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches