The new Seiko EPD ´homage´

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

The new Seiko EPD ´homage´

Post11 Feb 2011, 22:05

Estimadas forum members here my first contribution.
To introduce myself please visit: http://www.homocaballus.eu/EN/overons.php

In 1973 Seiko releases their first watch with a solid state quartz module, using a Thin Film Transistor-Liquid Crystal Display; the 06LC (0614-5000). It is the worlds first six digit display TFT-LCD watch. It also featured another first; an IntegratedCircuit ´chip´, produced by SSS Inc. USA.
Production reached a total of 10,500 pieces.
At the bottom of the article I have added some links to more information about this watch.

After 37 years of virtually unchanged TFT-LCD technology, Seiko releases the first watch Thin Film Transistor-ElectroPhoretic Display in December 2010; the SGDA00x (S770-0AA0).

With the 2010 ´00´ serial# first edition Seiko clearly pays tribute to their first solid state quartz module:

The three buttons on the front, complete with indentation and paint accent; four digit time only and six digit seconds screen, even a retro paper tag folded around the bracelet:

The SDGA00x is not Seiko´s first wristwatch using the EPD ´E-ink´ technology.
The first model was http://www.seikowatches.com/baselworld/ ... 1-epd.html
Followed by a second generation closed ring design.
SCWF-member Juan Muchos Jarros has both of these:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/t ... 227.0.html

At the March 2010 Base fair Seiko announces the EPD matrix watch:
http://www.seikowatches.com/press/2010/ ... 03-06.html

The great advantage of EPD/ E-ink is that what you see is ´printed´ pigment. The screen does not consume energy to display, only to get the pigment up = visible black, or down = visible white.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/ma ... r-work.jpg

Unlike LCD which goes blank with the power off, the EPD will still show the last update of it. It does not consume energy displaying; only updating.

This is best illustrated by comparing the power reserve specifications of the Seiko SBPG and the SDGA. About identical specifications save for the screen.
The SBPG with S760 LCD module has 3 months power reserve and 11 is power save mode.
The SDGA with S770 EPD matrix module has 9 months power reserve and 41 in power save mode.
A factor three which should indeed give the battery a virtually eternal life because of the solar recharging:

SCWF-member Mash has made two wonderful videos illustrating the EPD at work and its visibility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nH7e8CsESc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke4XxTxi ... re=related

Here one Tanaka made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxe-s7X ... re=related

The difference wit LCD is best illustrated by comparing the displays of the Casio GW-M5600, eSEiko SBPG001 and the EPD SDGA=01.

´The LCD display panel of the SBPG001 is large and "airy", as it takes up a higher proportion of the front of the watch than the Casio . . . which means the digits and information have more room to breathe. I never would have said the Casio GW-M5600 display looked small or crowded, until now that I have a point of comparison that sort of makes it look that way.´

... and the EPD matrix screen of the SDGA001 is a leap further in that same direction; being more spacious and better visible.

The quality of this display brings the solid state quartz module back into the luxury watch market and by introducing the EPD technology in the Brightz range is a clear signal by Seiko.

The clock part is rock solid technology.
The S770 module is making use of the same solar and radio control modules as the SBPG S760.

The range of the radio signal is:

As the ranges are not drawn on the ground and very dependant on both local circumstances and atmospheric conditions ánd not cover the whole of the nordern hemisphere under the best of conditions, a signal booster may be necessary.
For the German DFC77 tower (but working just as well for Anthorn 60 kHz so the US too!) the Citizen amplifier enhances reach:

The specifications (source http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/whatsnew/p ... e/20100907) are:

SEIKO Brightz Solar Wave Active Matrix; EPD SDGA001
5 Bands RADIO WAVE CONTROL WORLD TIME SOLAR Watch

* Ref: SDGA001
* Listed Price: 94,500JPY (incl 5% tax)
* Case/bracelet: SS
* Movement: S770 Solar
* Crystal: Sapphire with non-reflection coating.
* LED back Light (using two LEDs)
* Electrophoretic Display - 5 style time designs.

* Power save function
* Full auto calender untill 2060
* Dual time; Home time & Local time
* Accuracy: +/-15 sec per month

* Water proof: 10ATM water resistance
* Automatic time setting: 5 band
* Width: 40 mm (46 incl. crown protectors)
* Thickness: 9,5 mm
* Daily Alarm 3ch
* World time 32 Citis
* Instruction, worldwide one year warranty and original Seiko box

* Made in China

More about the 06LC:
http://www.seikolcd.com/Seiko_LCD/Docs_ ... 0Watch.pdf
http://akiyose.com/battery-exchange/sei ... -5000.html

Meanwhile I am having more fun with this watch than with just about any other because there are so many aspects attached.
The solid state technology itself is óne thing.

The rc issue is another and I found it interesting to figue it out. The more so since now I have perfectly good reception at 1300 km out of range giving in the manual.

A spin-off is the testing of the stand alone performance over a period of 21 days which on míne is about 1 second fast per month.

Lastly the 'wet ape' thing made me láugh: http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/t ... 613.0.html

An unsually complete page made by a seller:

http://translate.google.es/translate?hl ... V%3D101206

With the homage thing about the buttons, indentations for colour code on the 06LC in mind I relay like:

Hope you have enjoyed this as much as I am enjoying the new EPD technology and the quality of this watch.

Petrus
´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: The new Seiko EPD ´homage´

Post11 Feb 2011, 23:44

Very informative Huertecilla, thank you for the info.!
I must say this watch looks very ncie, and very big. Perhaps a little too big?
Do you have a Seiko 06LC ? Those are amazing -I have never seen one "in person" before.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Feb 2011, 12:03

No, I do not have the 06LC.
The comparative shot is a picture of my SDGA001 on a book I have.

It looks large yes. By today´s standards it ís not though. A Casio G-shock is incomparably bigger.
The rimless sapphire x-tal covers the front from edge to edge so it lóóks more than its 42 mm.
In the ´three eras´ picture below it is with two 38 mm. analogues.
It wears very well as is rather thin and hugging the wrist because the bracelet end pieced and lug end of the case are undercut. The down sloping case front ´flows´ with the well fitting bracelet around the side of the wrist.

Here some professional photos showing in intimate detail how well it is finished;

http://translate.google.es/translate?hl ... rmd%3Divns

Here some of mine

the world time received everywhere on the northern hemisphere

three eras; 6155 Special, 9F61 and the solar rc EPD.

simply time, made well

anachronisms of almost lost quality

The minute solar panel surface and the charging time table made me very curious and delving into that tought me a lot about light, it´s energy and solar charging.
Did some measurements with the panel on the bonnet of my car. VERY enlightening! Literally and figuratively :lol:

The rc thing, because I live 1300 km. out of specified range, made me.... Indeed ;-)
The Wave Receiver syncs the Seiko (or Casio, Junghans) reliably up to a meter away with 60 kHZ stations too and you don´t even have to unbox either.

All in all this watch stimulated by greay matter and made me

all bubbly

The ´carbonised´ (just a bit of baking soda) added to unsweetened bubly water cleans the nooks and crannie very M:)W:)M

Having worn the thing since x-mas for (manual farm) work and pleasure the experience is:

The use:
- rugged tool that is not a doorpost magnet
- the button are below the sapphire and not vulnerably positioned
- the side buttons are protected from accidental actuation by effective guards that also look níce
- the ss will scratch like any ss (the PVD one should be more resistant), but the sapphire has reisted serious knocks and scrapings on masonry
- VERY easy to rinse

- the time is só increadibly easy to read that is even puts my time only GS models in the shade concerning legibility

The gripes:
- the ´power save´ made is too agressive; the 1 hour no light = save means that when under a cuff it will switch off after an hour. It will switch on again almost inmediately when you slide the sleeve back but it could be less agressive during winter time
- the clasp could do with a fine adjusting possibility. The watch shape and bracelt design make it rather non critical to the fit but if the wéarer is, the link sized increments might be perceived too course

The extras:
- the EPD display automatically switches between black/white and white/black to ´reset´ all pixels to avoid residual charge and thus shading. At first this can be disconcerting but one can also enjoy it.

- the front buttons have a definite ´click´ feel built into them. It makes operating them satistying like those seventies over centre metal toggle switches on car dashboards.

- the logic of the setting screens is indeed ´instinctive´. I am ´older school´. I go back to riding enduros with points ignition on motorbikes and it is a doddle for mé!
The alarm function is so sweet, both to set and the sound, that I sometimes set it just for the fun of it :oops:

- the screens respond in their own time. You need to give the matrix time to build the screen by shifting the pixels physically up/down and when the cursor shows you ´click´.
If you are a hasty button pusher, it will drive you nuts. If you tune into it, it becomes satisfying interactive quality time.

The performance:
- the bonus experience is that míne is stand alone about 1 second fast per month
- because the sync is so reliable, the watch is more accurate than the atom clock on my pc!

Summary:
Obviously this is a personal experience and I have a lóóád of personal associations influencing my appreciation so I best spilt the specs. from the experience.

Objectively the SDGA00x has a véry well made solid state module representing maintenace free accurate time on a 21st century display in quality hardware with hard to fault finish.

SubectiveIy is the mechanical lover´s digital :mrgreen:
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Feb 2011, 13:17

To give you guys a perspective; in 1996 I started designing my own racer for the Isle of Man TT.
I built a 650 cc single cilinder long stroke, radial 5 valve head with multi point electronic injection (for grunt over a wide range) in an untral-light twin spar chassis.
It worked and I raced the Isle in 1999 with it.

Our family current family car doubling up as farm work horse is a Mercedes designed Korean built 4x4 that combines a line pump 5-cil. turbo diesel with a electronically controlled electro-pneumatically switched entirely mechanical gear train.
I fitted air support for the springs, tweaked the diesel a bit to improve driveability and added a solar panel to balance key-off drain.

I strongly beleive that mechanical versus electronic is no either or but that the two should enhance their respective fuertes.
Since I only have one brain, this same evidence based best practice programming of the neural network also ´sees´ horology this way.

The solid state electronics quartz is currently the ultimate watch engine.
Incréadibly simple, basic electro-magnetics adds rc.
The latest, but also very basic, solar charging adds maintenance free longivity.
Physically shifting true black minute titaniumcarbidewhatsit balls up (black) and down (white) adds legibility that it lost since we decided that we could not live with the inherent drawbacks of a LED display.
For me this e-ink apprication in the EPD matrix is the ultimate combo of electromagnetic-, mechanical - and electronic technology.
Dropping the thing in decent hardware is like a timewarp spanning 35 years :!:

I therefor appreciate the link that Seiko made by design. A decidedly contemporary shaped sapphire x-tal with elements straight from the 06LC with functional integration of the three front buttons.

It is very much like the Synchromar made with 21st c. technology.
For the first time in mány years I think there is a solid state digital that is worth a solid state 18k case.
But that is just emotion :oops: ;-)
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post14 Feb 2011, 20:24

Last week I saw it (black PVD version) in a local jeweler's shop window and entered the shop immediately. To cut it short: after 20 minutes I left the shop without the watch. Mainly for 3 reasons:

1. No stopwatch. Unbelievable, 5 buttons and no stopwatch. Don't tell me about display limitations - in setting mode the display shows seconds, so it could also do this in stopwatch mode.

2. Bracelet. The watch is nice, but the bracelet looks and feels cheap. Too narrow for the watch size and not stiff, feels like worn-out from 10 years of use. Not what I expect for 990 EUR. And you can't just attach a different one, because the attachment is non-standard.

3. Choice of font: I'd like larger digits (there's enough space) and a nicer font. It is a WATCH, purpose = show the time, so why waste lots of space on the display to show ... nothing? Compare this:
ImageImageImage

Besides that: e.ink is a great technology for watch diplays. I've been wearing another e-ink watch for the last 3 months. The Seiko's display is better than Phosphor's.

Solar + RC is great. Finally the hassle-free watch - never adjust, never change batteries, never lubricate. Just wear and admire 8-).

And last but not least: AFAIK it's the first solar-powered watch with backlight! Finally!

Now if the solve at least point 1 and 2 I'll buy one. For sure. I've been waitng for this for years.

Just for reference another thread on this forum: http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=3802
Last edited by rewolf on 21 Oct 2011, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Feb 2011, 21:02

I don´t know if point 1. nééds to be ´solved´ as it is not neccessarily a problem.
It simply is not a chronograph like so many watches.
It does have world time and alarm.
I find that more usefull but then, some may not.

The world time display is VERY 8-) btw and that alone a big, if not really fúnctional bonus. It just looks very neat.

The cards display mode is... quaint and fascinating. Totally nót functional but pleasing and since that is what a watch is about, like it. I have it on surprisingly often because it moves about. The pack spirals and the picture cards AM and PM are different. Définitely setting the watch apart.

The bracelet is 17.5 mm. Some will like it, some will not. Same thing if they would make it wider.

Now, if you ever get one in your hands again; check out the alarm. It is só sweet!
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : The new Seiko EPD ´homage´

Post14 Feb 2011, 21:22

Huertecilla wrote:...
It simply is not a chronograph like so many watches.
It does have world time and alarm.
I find that more usefull but then, some may not.
For me, world-time is about the most useless feature a watch can have ;-) I have no relatives in other timezones and I rarely travel far. OTOH, thinking about it, in my Ventura vtec watches I use the 2nd timezone for DST, so it takes me just a short scroll and button press to switch between DST and standard time.
But still I won't buy a watch with 5 buttons and wonderful fully graphic display without a stopwatch. It's like a sportscar without seatbelts - yes, you can still drive it, and at most times you don't need the belts, but WHEN you'd need them and they aren't there, it really hurts ;-)

I admit I didn't check the alarm - I'll do as soon as it also has a stopwatch :mrgreen:

Please understand: I NEED a reason not to buy this watch. I have too many watches already (not to speak of pocket calculators...) ;-)

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post15 Feb 2011, 02:53

No chronograph?
I just ordered one from Seiya and the specs list a chronograph with 1/100 seconds and a Count down timer.

"Ref: SDGA001
Listed Price: 94,500JPY (incl 5% tax)
Case/bracelet: SS
Movement: S770 Solar
Crystal: Sapphire with non-reflection coating.
LED back Light
Electrophoretic Display --> You can choose 5 style time designs.

Power save function
Alarm function
Full auto calender
You can choose Home time & Local time
Dual time
Sound Demo function
LED Light

Accuracy: +/-15 sec per month
Water proof: 10ATM water resistance
Automatic time setting: This watch can receive official standard Atomic Clock frequencies of Japan, Germany, England and the United States
Width: 40 mm (without the crown)
Thickness: 10 mm
Chronograph function 1/100 Sec Max 10 Hour
Daily Alarm 3ch
Full Auto Calender
World time 32 Citis
Count Down timer
Instruction, worldwide one year warranty and original Seiko box"

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 03:10

morelite wrote:No chronograph?
I just ordered one from Seiya and the specs list a chronograph with 1/100 seconds and a Count down timer.

Seiya appearantly made a mistake in copying part of the SBPG specs. or something like that. His are wrong, the ones above in my review are corrrect. Nó chrono, nó count down timer.

Weird turn around because on several people fora are/have been critisizing the EPD for not having a seconds readout at all. Thát it has as you can see in two photos in my review.

There is just no pleasing everybody ;-)

Congratulations with your buy. You will lóve it, I am sure.What colour did you decide upon.
´Design oder nicht sein´

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post15 Feb 2011, 04:53

Well I guess I can live without the stopwatch and timer functions as I have others that will serve those functions.

I went with the plain SS version as I'm not a big fan of plated surfaces for the reason of scratches and the plating wearing off.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 09:48

I have the ss one for heritage reasons.

For a daily wearer the black one may be worth the extra outlay though as the coating is reported to be véry scratch resistant.

Since the surfaces are so flát, swirls do show and will give a used look. Personally I líke that real world sabi, but others prefer the watch to remain as pristine as possible.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 12:12

Here a photo from http://mollewatch.webgain.se to illustrate the difference in product level between the Brightz range SDGA001 and the Spirit range SBPG001:

It best explains that the price will not, cannot, go down for this Brightz model.
There will no doubt be models added and those may be anywhere on the ladder.
I hópe the range will expand horizontally or up, not down. That was a bad idea in the seventies as much as it is today.
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2011, 14:50

The price for e-ink will and has to go down, or it will always stay in a small niche.
The is no reason why the Seiko EPD has to be so expensive. The display does not cost so much, and the rest is fairly standard watch technology. I bet that the module+display does not cost more than $25 to produce. Plus case. The rest is marketing. And of course the first models have to return the investments made for the new technology.
EPD/e-ink is even cheaper to produce than LCD (at large production quantities). It's simply the better technology for watches, just like LCD was better than LED.

Could you maybe open your Seiko and make a few photos for us like I did with the Phosphor WC01 here? The Seiko has a snap-on back, should be fairly easy to open. I'm really curious how it looks inside, but the jeweller wouldn't let me open it unless I buy it (you know, this is like not being allowed to *** before you marry - you have to buy the pig in a poke ;-) )

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 17:48

rewolf wrote:The price for e-ink will and has to go down, or it will always stay in a small niche.

Again:

1. It already IS down and a lower price will buy you a lowere end watch = Phosfor :idea:

2. It will just not go down in a more expensive quality.

3. The reason the Seiko costs 1K is because it is Brightz hardware 1,5K level.

Have a look at: http://synchronar-2100.nu/high.php
High end is a relative ´niche´ product per definition. The automated mass produced Rolexes and Omegas are wonderfull exceptions to the rule because in their case the branded product has become detached from the actual hardware.

By all means consider it too expensive, not your thing or whatever.
It is the pallet in taste, preferences and appreciations that are the opportunity for the wonderfull variety and diversity in watches.
´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2011, 19:50

In Huertecilla's picture above, I prefer the watch on the right. Is that the SBPG0001 model?

The price for e-ink will and has to go down, or it will always stay in a small niche.
The is no reason why the Seiko EPD has to be so expensive. The display does not cost so much, and the rest is fairly standard watch technology. I bet that the module+display does not cost more than $25 to produce. Plus case. The rest is marketing. And of course the first models have to return the investments made for the new technology.
EPD/e-ink is even cheaper to produce than LCD (at large production quantities). It's simply the better technology for watches, just like LCD was better than LED.

I have to agree. I don't have any information regarding how much it costs Seiko to produce this model, but the numbers above do not sound outlandish. Recall that when Seiko's first LCD's came to the 'world outside of Japan' they were very expensive, and all they did was tell time! Not even the date. I've heard that in 1974 you could have bought the Seiko with the innovative, game-changing LCD display or a traditional Rolex = same price. We all know what happend there over time.

Personally, I am not a big fan - or not yet a big fan of the radiowave control feature. So for people like me, a watch with all the features of these tow models - sans radiowave - is a good thing. Why pay for a function I'm not really interested in? True, it could be seen as 'going down' in the model spectrum, but I prefer to see it as 'going across'.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2011, 20:41

Huertecilla wrote:1. It already IS down and a lower price will buy you a lowere end watch = Phosfor :idea:
There's lots of room between $1000 for the Seiko and $120 for the Phosphor. If it had a decent bracelet (and a stopwatch of course ;-) ) I wouldn't evben call the Seiko too expensive.

Huertecilla wrote:3. The reason the Seiko costs 1K is because it is Brightz hardware 1,5K level.

Now you made me really curious. I googled. I searched several different Seiko sites. Not a single hit for "Brightz" on any Seiko site. WTH is "Brightz"?? If there is a "Brightz range", I'd expect at least SOME information about it on a Seiko site.
For some reason many sellers seem to call the SDGA001 "Brightz". But if you google "Seiko Brightz" all you find is hundreds of analog watches. These can't have the same "hardware" as the EPD watch. I can imagine though that the SDGA and SBPG have quite similar hardware.
What we need here are inside photos. I couldn't find even a single one on the net. Come on, all you Seiko afficionados - don't tell me you don't ever open your watches? Like owning a sportscar and never looking what's under the hood? ;-)

So please enlighten me/us: what does "Brightz" mean? Is it maybe just an unofficial term for "any Seiko watch above 500 US$"?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post15 Feb 2011, 21:21

Huertecilla wrote:It best explains that the price will not, cannot, go down for this Brightz model.
I am of the complete opposite opinion - that watch could be sold, at a profit, for $175USD. It is hard for average person to have any appreciation for the internal engineering that took place in a digital watch, since nothing can be seen but the end result - the time. I think quality of build, comfort, and shear athletics are as good as it gets with modern digitals. Bear in mind we are all pretty much "propeller heads" here, which is why we enjoy learning about the internals.

propeller head
–noun
Slang . a person who is obsessively devoted to an especially technical pursuit.

I don't find radio watches that big a deal - radio setting technology is pretty much at the "made in China" point of it's illustrious history. Only the cheapest[ and most expensive] of watches today are not radio set. !@@!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 22:15

rewolf wrote:Now you made me really curious. I googled. I searched several different Seiko sites. Not a single hit for "Brightz" on any Seiko site. WTH is "Brightz"?? If there is a "Brightz range", I'd expect at least SOME information about it on a Seiko site.

Funny; I get a líst :-?
It even says on the Higuchi site that the EPD is from the Brightz range and the LCD from the Spirit.
I am not impressed by the search engine you use...

The 2010 catalogue:

Here a simple selection on ´Seiko Brightz´ on Yahoo japan through the JapanAuctionCentre
http://www.jauce.com/view.php?seturl=ht ... _aps_apg=1

The Brightz range is the Seiko top range below Grand Seiko. It is too high end for Spain and is not in the program here although the distributer does supply them from Paris.

The Brightz model line contains various movements and the one solid state; the SDGA00x.
The ´sister´ model in the range is the SAGA00x:
The second digit being ´D´ for Digital or ´A´ for Analogue.
http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.ph ... 1199999534

The Ananta spring drive is (was in 2010) the top of the Brightz ´Phoenix´ range.
It seems to have a niche of it´s own now.

This is a photo off a Japanese site showing the ´B´logo of the Brightz range

The SBPG00x is from a clear escalon down the model range; from the Spirit line.

...and do you know what ´Seiko Brightz´ on ebay gives?

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2011, 22:27

Brightz mystery solved.
(It looks better in black, IMO).

Are there any digital watches in the "Grand Seiko" category?
An update of the venerable G757 in e-ink would be a greeeaatt idea. :idea: 8-)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 22:40

rewolf wrote: Come on, all you Seiko afficionados - don't tell me you don't ever open your watches?

I stock Sii batteries for the 9Fxx and do oil changes :lol: myself too.

When I had the opportunity I looked at both the S770 and S760.
It does nót look anything like a Casio F-91W but not like the 9Fs either.
It simply did not occur to me to take fotos of the engine bay :oops:
I took it for granted that they, like the 9Fxx, would be on the web but they strangely enough indeed are not.

I can tell you that the snap backs are not meant to be open-and-shut like the hood of a car.
They pop off easy enough but getting it back is not thát simple. Straight forward enough if you use the lightest smear of silicon grease to keep the seal in its groove, but it is a véry tight fit.
I would advise to not undertake it without a case holder and a press.

´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 23:03

LEDluvr wrote:Brightz mystery solved.
(It looks better in black, IMO).

Are there any digital watches in the "Grand Seiko" category?
An update of the venerable G757 in e-ink would be a greeeaatt idea. :idea: 8-)

The G757 was fár from GS level of hardware finish and if it would cost 2K$ and upwards if it were upgraded to there now :idea:

The 9Fxx analogue tc quartz is the bottom of the current GS range.

In the OT of this thread you can see the EPD with a 1970 GS Special and a 1990 9F61.

I would welcome a solid state GS but even with EPD that is highly unlikely.
A Brightz level solid stae quartz is already quite a mental stretch for many as you can read here.

The stand alone performance of the S770 seems to be véry good btw. Three owners have kept the thing from synchronising for 3-4 weeks and all three were within one second per month.
Admittedly all were kept at comfie temps or on the wrist so it is nót to be compared with tc but it appears that the quartz oscilators used are on par with those in the spring drive.
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2011, 23:27

Ok, we got a Seiko catalogue with the Brightz logo on it. Now that looks official enough :-)
I wrote Not a single hit for "Brightz" on any Seiko site. WTH is "Brightz"?? If there is a "Brightz range", I'd expect at least SOME information about it on a Seiko site.
Of course did I (rather: google) find hundreds of links for "Brightz", but only SELLERS.
I'd expect that a high end watch range would at least be mentioned on the MANUFACTURER'S site. But I found nothing - this is still a bit of a mystery to me.
Can you post a link to a Seiko site that lists the Brightz range?
But actually it isn't really important. AFAIU, Brightz is nothing but a price range, i.e. marketing gibberish, not some sort of technology or movement. I'm not interested in marketing, but in technology.

Anyway, I think I'll have to bail out at this point. If I keep on asking or try to research everything I don't understand that you're telling, this will never end ... (like: what's 9Fxx, S770, S760? Movements I suppose, but what kind, and how are they related to the EPD? I can't stop asking questions... big problem sometimes... ;-) :mrgreen: )

PS: I have a case holder and press for snap-on backs :-)
Next

Return to Modern Digitals