The new Seiko EPD ´homage´

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : The new Seiko EPD ´homage´

Post28 Apr 2011, 01:33

xevious wrote:unfortunately it is not a USA market watch. I hope this changes, although this isn't the first time I've seen an item produced for the Japanese/Asian/Euro market that never made it to the USA. Still... at least it is not a limited edition.

It ís however a first model in a new technology for Seiko.
They will analyse the response before even deciding on a second run.
Seiko has a long history of one run only introduction models, releasing a new design after or even scrapping the technology after.
Look at the Thermic but also at their first ´kinetic´ and the first spring drive.
The Thermic idea was scrapped when the intrductory model did not meet expectations on the market.
The ´Kinetic´ was a handwound try out deemed successfull enough for a proper one.
The first spring drive was a try out deemed succesfull too and followed by a whole series.
In all three cases the first model was not continued.
All in all, Seiko may bring out a second batch or ?????
As it is there is only óne batch produced Oktober 2010.

It may not be with the ADs in the US but you can have one in 5 days from Higuchi or Seya.
It is not availeable in Spain either but I did get one for X-mas :lol:
´Design oder nicht sein´

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post28 Apr 2011, 08:03

You do have a good point... Seiko could decide not to make any other models, given how that has happened in the past. But seeing how great this technology is and all of the R&D that went into it, I suspect Seiko will release more models in the future. The thing is, the international warranty is only one year. And for an experimental watch like this, first of its kind, I'm a little afraid to take that risk for over $1k USD. Meanwhile, I'll be keeping a look out for someone selling it used. ;-)

LEDluvr wrote:Xevious, have you seen the Seiko "Spirit" - model SBFG001? It's an LCD not an EPD, but is sho' looks nice. And it's much less $ than the EPD. It also has solar and atomic synch features.
It's on my wish list...

Hi LEDluvr, I had seen the SBPG001/003 and was very impressed. But I didn't know there was an SBFG001/003. It's a slightly different casing design with negative display and prices seem to be just a little lower on the silver model. When I became familiar with the SDGA001/003, I put this ahead of the SBPG. Ideally, I'd like both! :lol:

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Apr 2011, 08:50

xevious wrote:Meanwhile, I'll be keeping a look out for someone selling it used. ;-)

Like I wrote, the only one that was sold pre-owned sofar did not see much of a decrease.
Deducting shipping cost, it sold for what I paid.
It was actually a véry strong point for buying new.

Yes, I get your point on the warranty. The first Omega Co-axials proved that. Solid state electronics is however an extremely well sorted out technology and that part of the watch is not experimental in the léast.
Seiko has been at it with E-ink since 2005 so it is hardly one night´s ice for them.

Since the first fotos (see my ´historic´ overview) already showed ´06 dec´, I think Seiko displayed perfect controll over their production process, which is the hallmark of quality.
As this matches experience based evidence with this brand and ditto wth Higuchi, I saw no objection in buying straight away; making sure of obtaining a Ooxxxx serial number.
´Design oder nicht sein´

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

: The new Seiko EPD ´homage´

Post28 Apr 2011, 13:22

That is a better buy for the money.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post28 Apr 2011, 18:55

xevious wrote:
Hi LEDluvr, I had seen the SBPG001/003 and was very impressed. But I didn't know there was an SBFG001/003. It's a slightly different casing design with negative display and prices seem to be just a little lower on the silver model. When I became familiar with the SDGA001/003, I put this ahead of the SBPG. Ideally, I'd like both!

That's how I see it xevious - I like them both too. I'll probably start with the SS version but if I find a deal on the "night version" then that will be first. As for the Seiko EPD- when a more reasonably priced version is available I'll give it a shot. I don't really care for the atomic-clock- radio synchronizing-atomic-dog doo-hickey. :lol:

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Apr 2011, 21:35

LEDluvr wrote:That's how I see it xevious - I like them both too. I'll probably start with the SS version but if I find a deal on the "night version" then that will be first. As for the Seiko EPD- when a more reasonably priced version is available I'll give it a shot. I don't really care for the atomic-clock- radio synchronizing-atomic-dog doo-hickey. :lol:

I wanted a well made digital watch as my daily wear and was looking at the SBPG001 but since I live wéll sounth of even hopefull reception wanted to sort that out first.
By the time I ´discovered´ the Citizen Wave Receiver the EPD was out and the first owner reports, particularly the fotos by a Seiko E-ink adept who also has both bracelets, made me doubt.
Then the fotos by Tanaka Watch convinced me that it would be a better suited companion for my ss bracelet GS9F61.

The thing to note is the law of deminishing returns.
Hence improvements in quality level have disproportionate effect on price.
This inherently makes higher spec. made products equally disproportionately less value for money when judged on mathematical terms.
It depends on how much ´value´ one subjectively attaches to the quality level wether one thinks the disproportionate price increase ´worth´ the feel for you.

In watches this is extreme.
Just look at say Patek Philipe versus Girard Perregaux versus Omega versus Certina versus Seiko 5 versus Vostok.
The latter two are arguably by fár the best value for money.

It becomes even more clear within one brand p.e. Seiko. The Seiko 5 is far mor value for money than the ProSpex than Grand Seiko than Credor.

Same thing the digitals.
The advbantage the digitals have is that unlike the higher end mechanicals there is as yet no uplift for perceived status.
A watch like a 1.5K Ventura is éasily on par or better made than 3K Omega mechanicals (and much more accurate, rugged, áll).

It is all in deminishing returns and one´s personal quality level expectations.

This is a photo made by a wis with a véry high end collection:

Now I do nót suggest that the EPD is a digital GS. If only, but it does bring home the message about the quality level and thus the price, value for money.
I would have paid 50% more for 20% level improvement to put it on GS 9Fxx level.
Based on the responses ´waiting for a cheaper one´ and them not selling like hot buns, I regret to expect no higher level successor :cry: even though high end watch lovers do value them a lót. The latter is explained by the relatively high value for money in the context of analogue watches.
´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post28 Apr 2011, 22:16

Huerticilla, if Seiko does not make any higher end EPD watches, or does not make any more EPD watches at all (I really hope that does not happen) then over time your Seiko EPD would become a collectors item. :idea:

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Apr 2011, 00:21

LEDluvr wrote:Huerticilla, if Seiko does not make any higher end EPD watches, or does not make any more EPD watches at all (I really hope that does not happen) then over time your Seiko EPD would become a collectors item. :idea:

It will be regardless.
It will be more or less so depending.

Seiko wíll make more EPD models.
Based on the market response to the first, follow up models will most likely be at least one step down and not ´homage´.
But then that is cloudy cristal ball looking and I hope to be wrong.

Also, Seiko has more pressing problems with a major Japanese logistics centre affected by both earthquake and energy problems, possibly even radio active fall out.
The EPD production facility being located in China will thus shift priorities to :?:
´Design oder nicht sein´

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post29 Apr 2011, 01:45

Huertecilla, I do appreciate your points. It could very well be the case that Seiko keeps this EPD watch model as the premiere, and that successive models will not be as luxuriously made and thus sold at lower price levels. But I can also see this as the precursor for a whole new line of watch display technology. You see, something like the spring drive sought to marry two technologies--a brilliant exercise in technological capability. But from what I've heard, there was great expense in making the movement. Thus, it remained an exclusive model. The SDGA001/003 is a major breakthrough, similar to what LCD was to LED. The EPD costs should soon lower very close to LCD costs. The variety in displays will open up enormous possibilities, not only in the data presented but in the styling. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, you can custom load a font into a watch for your own desires. And of course, custom text banners could be included. There might also be a touch screen utilized, so you can actually type small memos for reminders. Why not just use your cell phone for this kind of thing, something that I already do? Because a wrist mounted device is so convenient. No need to pull out your phone and perform a more lengthy navigation for the same purpose. So... Seiko will certainly have other models, and maybe even some mid-level ones that approach the SDGA001/003. Lastly, I wouldn't doubt Citizen stepping into this arena not too long after, introducing their own versions.

Anyway, just my vision... :-)

LEDluvr, I am thinking the same... the reverse or "negative" LCD looks great. I have a Casio GW-M5600BC that I really like. The reverse display is a little harder to read, but from a distance it does not attract attention like a typical LCD watch. A more "stealthy" appearance. This particular reverse display on the Seiko appears to be very readable, while still looking subtle.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Apr 2011, 09:09

xevious wrote:Huertecilla, I do appreciate your points.

Thanks.
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post01 May 2011, 04:49

Huertecilla, thanks for all your information and the time you took in this thread. Also thanks to everyone else for such a long and informative thread.

I really like the SS version of this Watch, I have found one for around $880 shipped but still not sure if I should get one. Its probably not worth that much and makes me think some of my Mechanical and Quartz watches I own cost alot, probably more than what they should cost but I really enjoy owning and wearing them.

I hate sitting on a fence, usually if I like something I do my research and buy once most of the right boxes are ticked. To be honest, most boxes are ticked for this watch I just seem to be stuck on the fence, not sure why I havent bought it yet.

Thanks again Guys :-)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 May 2011, 10:02

planetlcd wrote:Its probably not worth that much

Why?

1. Any watch more expensive than a Casio F91W carries a burden of being less value for money on mathematical terms only; anything more than 12 bucks for a watch, not being gold contents, is because you wánt pay more for an appreciative aspect.

2. The quality level for the price level is rather hígh in the Seiko EPD; higher than in analogue quartzes of the price level, even more so than ditto mechanical.

3. the ´worth´ of a quality level is subjective; why else would people be prepaired to pay the price for Grand Seiko level of perfection?!
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post01 May 2011, 11:25

Huertecilla wrote:
planetlcd wrote:Its probably not worth that much

Why?

1. Any watch more expensive than a Casio F91W carries a burden of being less value for money on mathematical terms only; anything more than 12 bucks for a watch, not being gold contents, is because you wánt pay more for an appreciative aspect.

2. The quality level for the price level is rather hígh in the Seiko EPD; higher than in analogue quartzes of the price level, even more so than ditto mechanical.

3. the ´worth´ of a quality level is subjective; why else would people be prepaired to pay the price for Grand Seiko level of perfection?!

Actually It wouldn't bother me paying $880 for it as to me it seems good value for this new technology and for something that would be different in my collection, this alone makes me want to buy it and not worry about the price. When I said "its probably not worth that much" It's because I don't own the watch. I did not say "its not worth that much" I will make up my mind when/if I buy it. Also it doesn't really matter what I say, Value is what the individual makes of it.

I paid an X amount for my HP-01 and to many people its probably not worth the money but to me its worth every cent and I'm happy.

I'm glad you like your Seiko EPD and hope I will feel the same if I buy it, I think I will, thanks to all your input :mrgreen:

EDIT : Huertecilla, can I ask you, are the Bracelet Links Solid ? I prefer a heavy Solid Link. Thanks

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 May 2011, 13:35

planetlcd wrote:are the Bracelet Links Solid ? I prefer a heavy Solid Link. Thanks

Yes, solid.

On the Tanaka fotos you can get a good impression:

Source; http://watch-tanaka.sub.jp/seiko/SDGA001/
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post01 May 2011, 14:32

Thanks for the Photos, the Bracelet looks high quality. More boxes are being ticked as I am researching the watch. I also found an English Instruction Manual for this Watch, time for a coffee and a read :mrgreen:

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 May 2011, 18:05

planetlcd wrote:Thanks for the Photos, the Bracelet looks high quality. More boxes are being ticked as I am researching the watch. I also found an English Instruction Manual for this Watch, time for a coffee and a read :mrgreen:

Since you are in Oz you will need the Citizen Wave reciever and then proably still will only have the sync in the NW.
It is quite accurate though stand alone. Mine is under 1 sec./ month fast.
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post02 May 2011, 13:28

I had no idea you can buy a separate Wave Receiver, I remember someone in another forum saying you can sometimes receive a radio signal if you are in the NW of Australia, I think that was with a Casio multiband 6 receiver that includes the Asian signal (china) ?

The Radio Control feature would be cool to see in action and obviously I would use it if one of my watches had it and we had a tower here in Australia.

Now that we are talking about the Radio Control, I wish they didn't write it on the face of the watch !@@!

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 May 2011, 15:23

planetlcd wrote:I had no idea you can buy a separate Wave Receiver, I remember someone in another forum saying you can sometimes receive a radio signal if you are in the NW of Australia, I think that was with a Casio multiband 6 receiver that includes the Asian signal (china) ?

You will find moe info on the thing earlier in this thread. It´s all there.

The long wave length behaves like a ground wave and travels particularly well over water.
Under favourable conditions NW Australia recives the southern Japanese signal.

The wave receiver extends the range consíderably. At least doubles it.
It will work with all the stations as most use the same (o near) wave length and it is the code in the signal that is the ´band´ of multiband.
This code tells the watch which station is sending the signal and calculates the local time with respect to thát signal. Thus it does not matter if it would receive two overlapping ranges.

Yes, I agree. I think that the brand on the watch face is sufficient too and prefer the sterile look of my non branded Novus by NSC.
True, we are thus accustomed to the often rather discreet digital displays but the blurp; ´SEIKO - Radio wave control solar´, is however relatively discreet with respect to most other modern digital watches.
The analogue norm is horrendous even. Take one of thé most iconic watches per example:

Rolex
Oyster Perpetual
Submariner
1000 ft = 300 m
Superlative Chronometer
Officially Certified
Swiss made

and it come more crowded still with 100 :!: :!: letters on a mid sized dial :eek:

´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post02 May 2011, 15:52

I really appreciate all your info Huertecilla ;-)

Have you seen the Latest Rolex Deepsea Sea-Dweller, they also inscribed the words (Original Gas Escape Valve - Ring Lock System) around the Dial, add that to your number list and we might have a record. An Encyclopedia of information :~#

I wish I could afford the previous model of the Sea-Dweller :O`~

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 May 2011, 16:11

planetlcd wrote:
I wish I could afford the previous model of the Sea-Dweller :O`~

How come? Do you need more WR tyhan you body can stand, a helium escape valve, a triple lock?
With modern design and proper seal materials no helium valve is needed and a single o-ring non screw down crown suffices for WR200.
Imo, all just silly marketing for desk divers with a penis size problem.

A Seiko SBCM023 will do all ánd stay on the dot ánd not need the calender date adjusted for all of 250$ ;-)
It only has twentysomething lettters on the dial though.
And yes, it ís less quality of build. A Marine Master would solve that though if you happen to need a pro diver and still save you two-thirds.
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post02 May 2011, 16:34

I like the look of the Sea-Dweller. I have never owned a Rolex because I believe you get better value with other Swiss Made watches (my opinion). Some Swiss brands that I own are not known to most people and I prefer that. But If I had plenty of spare cash I would buy a Sea-Dweller.

I have been SkinDiving/Snorkling, Surfing, Swimming etc for Many decades and agree anything over 200mt is just marketing. Actually the depth shown as I could imagine you know for yourself is just a pressure the watch could handle for a certain amount of time underwater. Not the size of your penis.

I don't think all people that own Watches with an over 200mt rating are just Desk Divers with penis problems. I agree with what you said about marketing But if I like a watch that has a rating of 200mt + I will buy it and would never relate it to my penis.

Relax :-)

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post02 May 2011, 19:39

^ probably akin to owning a 200mph Ferrari in a country where the top legal speed limit is 70mph and the owner doesn't bring the car to an off-road track. You just enjoy the fact knowing your car can go that fast, even if you never do. ;-) And no, not compensation for some appendage being small. It's imagination... and respect for the power in your hands. Accordingly, one can appreciate a watch that has endured a pressure test beyond 300m--you just know it's a technical feat worth admiring.

Incidentally, the bracelet on that Seiko looks great! Nothing quite like a good detailed close-up photo to show the details. 8-)
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Digitals