Finally.. A donor to finish my near NOS moonraker

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Finally.. A donor to finish my near NOS moonraker

Post28 Oct 2012, 20:53

Incomming, a Seiko A259-5050 to give a new heart to a pactically NOS moonraker 5010 which was laying on the shelf for the past year;

Off course the finsihed 5010 will follow later :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Finally.. A donor to finish my near NOS moonraker

Post31 Oct 2012, 10:36

a nice classic one...love the band to.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Nov 2012, 20:56

Today i received the A259, and i have to say, for its age its in excelent shape; crystal is, appart from a bump in the lower right corner, practically free from scratches. It has the original bracelet with all links and the case looks very clean, as well as the alarm roster inlay

Alarm isnt working, which wasnt communicated by the seller but this obviously made the price lower then expected and i accept it as i bought the watch for its movement which is working 100%
I havent taken it appart yet as i have to make a few pictures for the Digital Watch Library, but i expect a clean movement and the alarm issue is probably easy solved.

Nevertheless, its still the donor for a A259-5010, i will work on it this weekend and post some pictures

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Nov 2012, 20:48

Tonight i swapped the movement to the 5010. The 5050 was equiped with new gaskets, which came in handy. The alarm is working fine.

Personally i think the A259-5010 is one of the most elegant but sturdy LCD watches that Seiko made through the years, a true identification with the 1970's; the alarm-roster, the beautifull yellow and blue letters on the inner bezel, the movement. Basically the design of this particular Seiko LCD.

The watch is called a 'moonraker' Seiko aka 'a bond Seiko'. Basically that was just due to its presence on a Seiko advertisement linking to the Bond Mooraker movie. It was never used in the bond movies. Nevertheless a collectors item because of this:

I wrote this excample is near NOS. Maybe that was a little overdone as the watch has a small chip missing on the right side of the crystal, where it also has some marks on the metal bezel/case. Nevertheless, the crystal is near perfect, the alarm-roster is mint, the 'alarm chronograph' inlay is perfect and the case has minor signs of use.

Unfortunately (understatement) the original bracelet was missing, this will come by some day. I think this bracelet makes a good replacement meanwhile;

I made one in day'light' (its a cloudy and rainy saturday today..)

mikenj

Post27 Jan 2013, 16:44

Thanks for posting this.

I have recently started to appreciate these Seiko LCD watches and consider myself lucky to have found them again. My college room mate wore one, and, at the time, I didn't think much of it. I never wore a watch -- not for not trying, but I never could find one that worked for me. Vintage watches were delicate and broke, stainless divers don't fit under sleeves and are heavy, plastic watches are um, plastic, and so on.

I picked up an A359-5000 for my son for Christmas. It was NOS and I thought in the pictures it really looked great. When it arrived, I was doubly delighted with it. The construction, weight, design of it were really remarkable. What was particularly appealing was the design of the speaker grill -- a centered Seiko against bright steel and black paint. My son loved it, but wouldn't wear it as it was too nice to wear. So I decided to see what else there was out there (mostly ebay) and no more NOS watches.

so I picked up a g757 and two a259s. My son got the G757 (what a fun and cool calibre -- too bad about the case not being SS) and my daughter got the a259-5070 (which she loves). So now, I decided I wanted one and picked up an a259-5010.

The Seiko speaker grills are the design element which really sets these watches apart from the generic lcd watches that followed. The 5010 with its bold grill and multi-colored print really is a unique watch. The bracelet is one of the best as it is a perfect extension of the case and very comfortable. Much to my luck, the watch came perfectly sized for me.

Personally i think the A259-5010 is one of the most elegant but sturdy LCD watches that Seiko made through the years, a true identification with the 1970's; the alarm-roster, the beautifull yellow and blue letters on the inner bezel, the movement. Basically the design of this particular Seiko LCD.

I couldn't agree more, and thanks so much for posting pictures of this beautiful watch.

Mike

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Jan 2013, 19:22

The Seiko speaker grills are the design element which really sets these watches apart from the generic lcd watches that followed. The 5010 with its bold grill and multi-colored print really is a unique watch.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Congrats to the both of you for having such nice watches :-D

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2013, 00:40

Hi Mike,

First of all, wellcome to the forum!

I enjoyed reading your story. Very recognizable, this is how the fever started with me too :)

Enjoy wearing this masterpiece, im sure many more will follow on the wrists of you and your family ;)

mikenj

Post28 Jan 2013, 01:55

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought some pictures would be nice to go along with my story.

Here are a few pictures of the watches:

The A359-5000:

The G757:

The A259-5070:

The a259-5010:

Also, I was able to find a cheap copy of the Seiko book, "a Journey in Time" which actually is a fun read as Seiko is a much more interesting company than I knew. They were real innovators! Just wish there were more details of the design aspects of the LCD watches.

Mike

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2013, 04:48

Hey Mike,

Great pictures, thanks!

I didnt know this A259-5070 yet, i like it..

'as we speak' (when i heard 'new email' through my speakers, your reply on this topic) i am making pictures for some Ebay listings. Today i am wearing the blue version of your A359-5000 , as i had my camera gear set up i took a picture right away, here it is :

mikenj

Post28 Jan 2013, 05:15

Wow, gorgeous picture and watch. I didn't know there was a blue variant and now I will have to look for one. The 259 and 359 series never cease to surprise and delight me.

Interestingly, my picture the a259-5010 doesn't do it justice. It shows flaws that aren't that aren't apparent in everyday use. Your photography, on the other hand, captures the character of the watch much, much better.

Mike

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2013, 06:27

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the compliment, I enjoy watch photography. I put them on my Flickr account for other watch enthousiasts (sometimes its so hard to find reasonable pictures of watches.. so i like to contribute on that part) and i use them for my Ebay listings, forums etc.

I fabricated a 'lightbox' out of a cardboard box. I put three daylight-lights around it (top and sides. dayligth lighting captures the true colours better). Then off course a reasonable good camera and a tripod.

These days (in contrast to the picture below) i use a black background for better contrast.

I recommend everybody to give it a try. Its fun and rewarding.

By the way, your A359-5000 looks like its coming straight of the Seiko factory, beautifull

mikenj

Post28 Jan 2013, 17:17

Very nice setup. I'm going to see if I can do something like that -- as soon as I can find some time...

Mike

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2013, 21:57

Me being a seiko fan, i'm pleased to see these beautiful watches guys. :-)

Thanks for the photo tip seicitizitch, i think i'm going to make a similar setup as well.

Dr. Freeze

Post26 Oct 2017, 04:34

Where to start? I have a Seiko A259-5010 which I bought in new 1979 and have been wearing since: 38 years. It has seen me through a lot of rough road, and never failed me. At the time I bought it, it was cutting-edge technology and much admired. I've always loved the build and design, the layout of the displays, the speaker grill, etc. and the intuitive way it functions. Other watches came and went, but the Seiko has been the tried and true favorite. Recently, however, the display has stated to fragment. I sent it off to Seiko in Mahweh, NJ, and they wanted $170 to clean and refurbish it with no guarantee that it would be fixed. I gathered from your forum that the most likely problem is with the zebra strips. I don't have watch tools or a magnifying glass lamp, and although I'm handy I've never attempted such a small repair before, so before diving in the deep end and drowning I thought I'd ask for some advice on this. Is this something I should even think about attempting to start with, and if I could, how would you recommend I begin? Many thanks for any input on this.
Dr. Freeze

simone

Guru

Guru

Post29 Oct 2017, 22:42

Welcome to our board Dr Freeze.Could You better explain Your issue with the watch,if You want You can post some pics.i'm sure we can help you :-D

Best
Simone
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

Dr. Freeze

Post30 Oct 2017, 04:18

Thank you for your welcome. I will try to post pictures of the display. I described it as fragmenting, meaning there are parts of numbers missing from the month/date display. The time display seems to be holding up okay for the hours/minutes, but the seconds are fragmented as well, with parts of those numbers missing.
Dr. Freeze

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post30 Oct 2017, 10:13

Did something went wrong the last time you changed the battery? missing segments means i leakage of the battery or someone pulled the module a little bit apart. you could try to open it and tacle the problem but its not easy.
you could first try to pinche the module together to see that the missing segment light up. But be careful not to damage the lcd...just a light push to see if its better.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

simone

Guru

Guru

Post30 Oct 2017, 14:30

Missing segments could be:

1 Battery leakeage,you can clean using an acid solution like formic acid-distilled water and isoprophilic
2 Oxidation on board, you can use a fibre tip pen
3 Bad zebra-board contacts,maybe broken plastic (very fragile on this kind of module) or just only need to tighten the screw better
4 Defective board (not fixable)

So as Kasper said you have to inspect the module for any kind of contamination. You can use the tech manual on the Adam's digitalwatchlibrary

:dwf:
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches