It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:18

Segtronic - Not working

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Segtronic - Not working

Post05 Feb 2013, 01:36

Hello,

I purchased a Segtronic off eBay a few days ago, and although the watch was sold in non-working condition, I stuck a battery in it, but I still got nothing out of the display. Does anyone here have a Segtronic Manual of any kind that I could possibly follow to try and revive this watch? Here is the exact model displayed at Crazy Watches...

http://www.crazywatches.pl/segtronic-optel-fe-lcd-1973

If necessary, I could provide pictures, and I expect to do so, but has anyone had any experience at all with these watches? I have seen pictures of their modules, and they look very robust and repairable. After adjusting the stem a little, the display did light up, but quickly went away. I may have the wrong battery size/depth. I am very sorry to bother everyone here with this, but I would like at least try getting this watch fixed if possible.

Please anyone get back to me on this when possible.

- Patrick

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Segtronic - Not working

Post05 Feb 2013, 02:47

Patrick,

Ok, well, don't despair too much just yet - if the display lit up briefly and went away, it's possible that it's a simple battery connection issue.

The battery hatches on these models are a little fussy. I'd focus my efforts there first. Try bridging the connection between the battery and the case with a piece of metal and see if that does anything.

I have some manual pages for this model, but I don't think that they will be of much help. I'll try to get around to posting 'em anyhow since the part about the stem position would be useful to have online.

Good luck,

-abe.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Feb 2013, 01:45

Sorry about the late reply. Than you Abem. Here are the first pictures of the watch with the band removed. This watch is built like a tank! Very heavy like gold. It is stamped 18k Gold. I guess that the 18k gold is subject to just the plating on the watch case alone? I still get nothing from the watch display after trying a battery. I want to ask anyone who knows if the groove I have labeled on picture #1 is the place to try and pry open to get the case open. This watch may require a special tool that I do not have. Anyway, please get back to me if anyone knows at all. Patrick

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Feb 2013, 06:09

Ok,

Here is an image of it working...

It seems that the batteries I was using were all drained because they were in a cold garage. I hope I am not bothering any of you, but I have a few question if you don't mind...

1) It appears that Segment Section "3" (to the right of the colon) is missing a segment. Can this be fixed? I have heard that these modules can be fixed for this type of issue.

2) How much function does the watch "stem" have. For example: does the watch stem pull-out? Does the watch stem push in? What does turning the watch stem (clockwise/counter-clockwise ) do?

3) Is the watch stem replaceable (Can it be removed)?

4) From the second picture I posted, can anyone tell me if that is the original bracelet to this watch?

Anyway, if anyone can answer these questions, I would appreciate it. I have heard that theses watches are somewhat rare, but I may be mistaken.

Thank you,

- Patrick

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Feb 2013, 07:40

Patrick,

Congrats on a cool working vintage LCD watch. A few answers to your questions:

1) missing segment
Sorry, these displays can not be repaired.

2) the stem
The stem is used to set the watch. You turn the stem one direction to set the hours and another direction to set the minutes. A while back, I posted some more detailed instructions on the stem positions:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6045&p=38720&hilit=optel+instructions#p38720

3) Is the watch stem replaceable?
You shouldn't need to remove the stem. It doesn't need to be removed to open and close the watch case as in an analog watch.

4) Is the band original
It looks original to me. The clasps weren't signed. You can compare it with mine - looks the same:
http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/l ... index.html

-abe.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Feb 2013, 20:09

Thank you Abem.

One of the issues I see with this watch front bezel is that the underside of it where the "Segtronic Quartz" logo is, is actually painted on with a flat primer. I have seen similar painted logo styles in the past from other watch manufactures, but if I am going to try and buff-out the blemishes to the crystal, the paint on the underneath side of the bezel will pose a big problem, as using Tin oxide or Curium oxide gets everywhere. Does anyone know what type of crystal this is? Is it simply mineral glass? Is it hard plastic? Any help would be great.

Thank you a lot,

- Patrick

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post31 Jan 2014, 18:33

Hi Patrick. Im just wondering if you ever did polish the crystal (which I believe is plastic acetate but others may correct me)? And if so then what were the steps/tools you used? Thanks

Return to Electronical