For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

laptop

Techie

Techie

GIRARD PERREGAUX 352 QUARTZ

Post10 Feb 2013, 17:07

Hi guys,

I got this GIRARD PERREGAUX that refuses to work normally (I'm sorry for the bad quality picture).
Girard Perregaux Quartz.jpg

The little motor inside is working (or trying). it moves the second hand for a few seconds and stop, then it moves it again and stops, and sometimes it even try to go backwards for one second and then it advances 2 seconds, at first i though it was the battery, but now I'm completely lost. The quartz is working, because I put a brand new crystal. What intrigues me is if this watch should be oiled or not?!
Could anybody give some advise on it?
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible is only a point of view!

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Re: GIRARD PERREGAUX 352 QUARTZ

Post10 Feb 2013, 17:52

An easy question to answer, but a difficult one to solve! You put a 1.55 volt battery in a watch designed for a 1.35 volt battery and this watch is notoriously fussy about the voltage. Some (about 60%) will run on the higher voltage, but the others don't. The higher voltage spike presented to the stepping motor makes it "ring" and it swings back & forth between the step poles. You need a lower voltage battery- if you have a variable voltage source it is very easy to determine at what point the motor starts to misbehave. Without, then you could try an alkaline cell (nominally 1.45 volts) or a partially discharged AgO cell. 1.35 volt Mercury cells are just no longer made- you can buy 1.35 volt Zinc air batteries but these need a source of Oxygen to work and in a sealed watch case last about 12 hours so don't bother. I am not aware of a 357 size voltage dropper (like those used for 214 movement Accutrons) being available.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Feb 2013, 17:53

And, under no circumstance oil a 352/3/4 movement. The staffs run in the tiniest nylon bearings you ever did see and standard watch oil turns the microscopically fine nylon dust on the surfaces into glue.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post10 Feb 2013, 17:59

advancing with 2 sec always means that it is battery related.

edit..oops Tom is here :-D he must know it!
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post11 Feb 2013, 03:34

Hi guys,
Thanks Tom for this schooling, I really appreciate your accurate pin point going direct to the problem, lol lol lol :-D
But, now, I have a almost new (NOS) Girrard Perregaux with box and everything else, without the right power source, a 1.35V battery :eek:
I could say that I bought myself a "white elephant", lol lol lol.
I will keep it there on the corner and see what can be done later.
Thank you very much for the heads up. You saved me days of headache :Hi:

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post15 Feb 2013, 05:07

Hi Tom,
I just received the 1.35V cell toady and I tried on the watch and it still show the hiccups :eek:
I know this battery is not the right one, but at least it has the right voltage (Wein Brand, Zinc/Air MRB625 3.5V) for me to give it a try.
Any idea what else it could be?!
Thank you.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post21 Feb 2013, 00:52

hi,
not seeing any pics it's hard to judge but this "simple" quartz calibre does have issues if all parts are not clean and aligned.
please strip it into separate modules and make sure that all clamps and levers work properly.
you might find some hints on my site but again it's hard to make an assumption based on your description.
this movement does not have a safety pin for accidental motor backlash so it's even more akward.
I would say it's the motor or the center seconds wheel or maybe even the motion work on the dial side.
http://www.crazywatches.pl/jaeger-le-coultre-gp352-master-quartz-1972

"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post28 Mar 2013, 05:00

Hi guys,
How are you?
I just bought another one, GIRARD PERREGAUX 352 QUARTZ, this week (Gold version) a little bit pricy, but, well... a piece of art working. :-D
I LOVED IT!!!!! :Prost:
GP.JPG

This one took the 1.55V battery (I know that is not the right one, but what can we do?! !@@! ) and is working like a charm :-D
So far is not loosing not even a second :grin1:
The other one still refuses to work, I put it as a display piece with the box, papers, etc. :amen:
Thank you for the advise. :-D
PS: I still need to clean and polish the new one, sorry :grin1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands