It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:58

Ebay LCD's x5 all dead

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Plato

Geek

Geek

Ebay LCD's x5 all dead

Post22 May 2013, 23:40

I took a risk and got a job lot recently. Mainly for the 6 or 7 LED watches included and a few worked! I was pretty pleased.

Also it came with 5 LCD old timers as shown:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110577497534069508823/Watches?feat=email#5880916008894845106
https://picasaweb.google.com/110577497534069508823/Watches?feat=email#5880916105679966274

None of these work. :-( I'm surprised as the 4 Ingersolls look in very good condition (except the Sandoz looks a bit battered, of course I like it the most!). BUT...I have no idea what I'm doing with regards to these LCD's ... I've just tried contact sprays to clean them up; then inserting batteries and screwing down the metal covers/ closing the case. I'm not even sure of the correct polarity.

Any tips?

Thanks

J

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: Ebay LCD's x5 all dead

Post23 May 2013, 08:43

You can usually identify which way a button cell is inserted by the shape of the battery wells.
If the bottom of the well is a 90 degree transition, then it's positive down. If instead it's bevelled around the bottom of the well, then it's negative down.

Hope this helps.
Rgds.

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 May 2013, 23:23

Looks like it's negative down on these.
Did you try leaving in the battery for a while ?
There is a slim chance when the modules are clean and there are no apparent damages, that they fire up when the battery is left in.
Hope it will work in your case.

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post23 May 2013, 23:45

Thank you so much for the replies - I am going to have a go this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. I'll leave the batteries in.
J

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post17 Jun 2013, 00:51

Ok, after lots of swapping cells and messing with screw restraints in various positions, I installed and left in batteries for the 5 watches. The results:

The Sandoz is dead so far
1 Ingersoll is dead (the square blue face) although I'm not sure if I can occasionally see some faint flickering
Of the 3 Ingersoll brown face oval watches, 1 is working fully, 1 is working well but the 4th digit has about half the segments not showing, and the last shows a display of 00 only which hasn't changed and isn't affected by anything I do.

So thanks to all who replied, great work in helping me get a good result. I suppose I will keep one as I don't have any LCD vintage watches, and maybe ebay the rest in a job lot as not working.

J

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jun 2013, 21:13

Great that you got some of them working, Plato :-D

1 is working well but the 4th digit has about half the segments not showing

Did you clean the zebra strips on this one ?

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post18 Jun 2013, 01:13

Thanks for the suggestion. No I didn't - I'll look it up as I'm not familiar with this. If you know of any online guides for LCD repairs I would be grateful to get a link.

Update - the fourth Ingersoll has also come back to life today! Amazing. Anyway I haven't tried to set them yet as these ingersolls all seem a bit erratic. One resets itself to 12:00 when a button is pressed, on another the display fades away when a particular button is pressed, another is frozen on :00, and the last appears to work well but has missing display segments.

I do wonder if I should revisit the non-working Sandoz now just in case it also does the Lazarus trick, maybe I gave up too soon :-)

This is just a bit of fun really, the watches are pretty damn ugly and I couldn't see them fetching anything on ebay. But it is satisfying for me trying to get them to operate again. And I am definitely learning something from the members here. What a great forum. :-D

J

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jun 2013, 22:58

If you know of any online guides for LCD repairs I would be grateful to get a link.

Not sure if there are any online guides. :?:
I guess you just have to try and disassemble the module, i'm not familiar with these ingersoll modules, but the zebra strips are always looking similar.

They look like this http://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Conductive-Silicone-Rubber-Connector/346649802.html , clean them and everything it comes in contact with.

peachykeen

Geek

Geek

Post20 Jun 2013, 06:05

Can you post a bigger picture of the Sandoz? To me it looks like it has a rotten battery contact, and the contact also seems to be in the wrong position.

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post21 Jun 2013, 01:34

Sure can. This shows a lot more. I never thought of doing this, much easier than using a magnifier.

john

peachykeen

Geek

Geek

Post21 Jun 2013, 10:35

Hello John,
Plato wrote:Sure can. This shows a lot more. I never thought of doing this, much easier than using a magnifier.

Thanks. I can see signs of leakage on the lower battery contact. Unfortunately the contact that goes over the batteries is missing in your picture. It should look like this http://www.schild-eterna.de/bilder/armbanduhren/9315%20%20ESA.jpg and it should be held in place by two screws (the lower one missing on this picture). On your previous picture it looked like only half the contact is there.

Return to Electronical