It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:07

Help removing gold color plating from band

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Help removing gold color plating from band

Post22 Sep 2013, 18:40

I just bought this nice Champion band off Ebay for a good price, I know is 100% SS. Is there an easy way to remove the plating other than sanding and polishing, like for example a bath on some kind of stripper, acid or other kind of chemical. The plating in only on one side. :scratch: cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Help removing gold color plating from band

Post22 Sep 2013, 21:55

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post22 Sep 2013, 22:23

Heavy duty oven cleaner! It will be interesting to know if it works - I spent hours with Brasso removing the plate from a flaky band and then still had problems getting into all the nooks and crannies. :!:

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Sep 2013, 04:36

Thanks for the link Kasper, I will try that with a scrap band first to see how it works, I will be very happy if that works. At first I though an acid will do the trick but looks like an alkaline will do it, I will let you know how it works. By the way I wonder what kind of metal is used for the plating. Thanks.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jan 2015, 11:59

No outcome posted so I guess it did not work.
The chemical mentioned might remove a thin brassing layer but steel bracelets where not brassed.
If not stamped as rolled, goldfilled or electroplated gold the rest seem to be (heat?) treated with some sort of gold oxide or other mix as some of them don't even have the color and shine of plated gold.
I once tried to remove the plating and two shops could not remove it the normal way, only one managed to strip it clean using a secret set of acids and alkalines.
On another occasion a bracelet got nearly consumed by acids and the fake gold plate still remained.
The best thing is to apply glass bead blasting but that will usually require quite lengthy polishing afterwards.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Return to Mechanical