It is currently 27 Mar 2024, 06:57

Nixie Tube Clock

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Re: Nixie Tube Clock

Post26 Oct 2012, 12:21

That is a true beauty Cesar! Looks like it's in mint condition.

I would agree with charger that it is most likely an input for a more accurate clock source (atomic clock of some sort) although I would expect it to be 1Hz rather than 2Hz. If it is an output, it's easiest to test with an analog voltmeter so that you can see the 2Hz motion of the pointer, that will be hard to see with a digital multimeter.

Michel

susan

Post01 Apr 2013, 15:30

they looks very nice,i like them

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post01 Apr 2013, 16:14

welcome Susan from us all, we hope you enjoy your stay here and tell us more about your watches/website.

btw is Susan you real name or your English name?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Apr 2013, 16:24

Welcome Susan TYVM we hope you enjoy your stay at our forum. "willkommen"
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

StevenC

Post29 Dec 2013, 21:48

Hello together,

I just joined the forum after cleaning up my dad's workshop after he passed away.
During the clean up I found a Longines Nixie Tube Clock, and some research brought me to this thread.

CIMG4306.JPG

CIMG4301.JPG

My dad had this clock in his shop for as long as I can remember.
I was about to throw it into the electronic garbage bin when I decided to first do some research on it.
This unveiled that these seem to be pretty rare and hard to come by and had only been given to mostly Jewelers.

I have no Idea where this clock came from, but my dad had a good friend who was a Jeweler. So that might have been the source.

The specimen I have is not in 100% mint condition. It has some minor spots with discoloration on the housing and it seems that one of the tubes is not as bright as the others.
But I also have only taken 5 minutes yet to clean the major dirt off of it after it has been sitting on a shelf for decades.
I also haven't found the wooden case yet. Not sure if it does still exist, but there is still a lot of "junk" I need to go thru in the shop.

It has a stamp with number 201, which I assume makes it number 201 out of 500 :?:

As you can probably tell by my post I'm not really a watch guy (I'm more into British sports cars :roll: )

I just thought I post this here in order to find out if this clock might be of any value for a collector or if I should rather proceed with the garbage bin approach.

Thanks for taking your time reading...

Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Dec 2013, 22:26

That is a great find!
It does not belong in the trash YIKES!!!! :bang:
It's extremely rare and well worth saving a little TLC will bring it back to life.
Most nixie tubes you can still find on E-bay.
The one i have is complete with box one similar like mine went for €1200,- in Germany
a few years ago.
Like you i love british sport cars aswell. :-D
I,d suggest having it restaured then decide if you still want to sell it.
Most likely you will want to keep it. ;-)
In any way Don't throw it away, instead you can always ship it over to me. :grin1:

Kind regards,
Cesar
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post29 Dec 2013, 22:39

That is a nice find for sure!

I'd be interested to buy and restore it, preferably with the wooden box & manuals of course.

In any case, don't throw it away! If you just want to get rid of it, put it on ebay as it is and see what happens.

Cheers,
Michel

StevenC

Post30 Dec 2013, 09:45

Thanks for your input!

What I understand so far is that throwing it out would be a mistake :roll:

I'll be at the shop again over the next few days and will look for the box and manual in particular.

Does anyone have any information about a good place where I could get this restored (preferably somewhere in Germany)?

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post30 Dec 2013, 09:54

Check out the neonixie club on google:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/neonixie-l

There's plenty of people with the knowledge for restoring your clock, also in Germany. If you ask it nicely, I am sure someone will help :Prost:

Michel

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Dec 2013, 14:19

If you must sell it try on this board first.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jan 2014, 22:45

I would probably not sell it since it is kinda family heritage, but well better sell it than throwing it on the garbage. It is still quite valuable since it is among the very few Nixie clocks that are commercial (not enthusiast home made or retro) clocks. Estimated collector value even in rather bad shape is like 500 to 1000 pounds sterling. Not enough to buy a new sports car, but you get the idea. I would probably keep it in the family, but i can understand if you really feel you have to get rid of it, after all you keep your dad in your heart and memories and not in old clocks, even though this is a pretty memorable piece.

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Jan 2015, 23:30

I've done a more in depth video of my Nixie Tube clock including an explanation of how the tubes work and the clock's settings.

Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 May 2020, 23:17

I built a Nixie Clock with IN18 tubes. Order the kit from the UK and Tubes off of eBay from the Ukraine. I also added a GPS time sync module and proximity sensor that turns on the tubes only when people are around to hopefully prolong the life of the 80's built nixies. Tested the time sync against the Internet and it worked perfectly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets