It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:05

Are SASMs accurate?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Plato

Geek

Geek

Are SASMs accurate?

Post24 Mar 2014, 16:56

I have 2 modules for a p2 and p3.
Haven't worn either for months actually, as there are just too many good watches in my collection :-)

Now I come to inspect them again the times are waaay out. While the old 70s modules next to them are only 1 to 2 minutes off the actual times.

Anyone else notice this?

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Are SASMs accurate?

Post24 Mar 2014, 19:40

That depends on the module you have. At the beginning I re-used the original crystals which turned out not to be a good idea. Can you find out which module version you are using? Remove the battery and put them in again. The version number lights up (except for the very early versions).

Hanno.

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post31 Mar 2014, 20:50

Hi Hanno.
They are both lighting up "SAS" then "E27" if that helps.

I reset them both last night and will let you know in say a week? If they keep good time I will have to eat humble pie :-)

j

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post31 Mar 2014, 21:22

Did you download the manual? You can adjust the time counting.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Apr 2014, 00:05

I have the same module for like 2 years and after doing the time regulation it keeps amazing time, 6 seconds +- every six months, not bad.
my recommendation is that you wait a week and note how much You need to correct, then when you reset the time do correction first, then reset time and date if needed
You need to do it this way because using 2 magnets to enter correction mode almost always disturbs the time setting. I really don't like this way of regulating time, I think
it will be easier if to do it , for instance keeping a pusher pressed or a combination of the 2 was needed to bring correction mode and forget about the 2 magnets. I think Hanno did a revision on later modules so the correction stays in memory.
Last edited by Phasar66 on 01 Apr 2014, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Apr 2014, 09:24

The actual SASM17A / 27A software has an even better timekeeping then the early SASM17E / SASM27E series (and some other fixes).

I recently started to implement pre-set values for time keeping with the newest SASM54 and SASM60 series (for Girard Perregaux watches and a new project). Actually I am running a test with 10 SASM60 modules. They have components (microcontrollers, crystals, capacitors) of the same production run. They are running about 17 days now. All modules are running with the same pre-set value. Now four of them have no deviation at all. Four have 1/4 seconds and one has 1/2 seconds. The last one is running 4 seconds too slow, so I have to discard the whole board. This will change again with the temperature, battery voltage and some other factors.

Hanno.

Return to Electronical