It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:41

Junghans Mega Futura 026/4104.00 REVIEW !!

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Junghans Mega Futura 026/4104.00 REVIEW !!

Post14 Aug 2013, 10:43

Beauty,simplicity,and quality all in one! Worth noting,this is the natural colour of the segments,its not shown back lit(its a cool blue )It is a very pure, clean and clear segment style,not the "mozaic" pattern that affects the multi segmented Ventura displays.This reminds me of a battery powered Sparc px.I would say Hannes would be very impressed with this design.Completley logical,with the largest hrs digits followed by smaller min,and even smaller seconds.Also no leading zeros to spoil its simplicity.Possibly the best, clearest and most reflective lcd display available. :mega:
Very tempted with this one, especially black on black leather,only non solar element is a draw back IMO.
Mega-Futura_zps56dcb3a3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by holly35 on 27 Apr 2014, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Junghans Mega Futura 026/4140.00

Post16 Aug 2013, 15:35

Is this a new one? From 2013?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post16 Aug 2013, 20:02

Nice, that's a cool looking watch :mega:

Gotta find out more about it

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 Aug 2013, 20:42

This is a rarer version,in all black with black leather.Superb quality ,close to Ventura in fact,remember not all Venturas had durinox cases.Earlier sync problems should be better now.Needs a battery change every couple of years or so,(can be extended by switching off the radio sync, kind of defeats the purpose of having radio sync though)
Thee most futuristic watch bar none imo. :mega: Looks best in this all black ,very understated and cool.Makes the numerals almost jump up the dial. :eek:
Sapphire glass and 5 atm,super soft calf band should be lighter and comfortable to wear.
Will confirm all soon,pulling the trigger on one in a day or two. :call: :ironie:

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 Apr 2014, 09:04

After a loooooong wait,full review soon Junghans vs Ventura.!

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Apr 2014, 18:18

Will be interesting to read the report on it.

Is this a standard LCD or a new Transflective LCD?

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 Apr 2014, 19:52

yes it is the new super high contrast system,the above pic says it all really......... :mega:

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Apr 2014, 21:18

Neat!!

Yea it looks great in the photo at the top, just wanted to see what a forum member and owner of it thought about it's contrast and general viewability under different angles and light conditions.

Pretty attractive for an LCD I have to admit. :-D

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Apr 2014, 13:21

Awaiting the comparison review....

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post19 Apr 2014, 16:10

Strange..i cannot find that reference anywhere...so me and Mr Junghans are waiting 2 :-D

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 Apr 2014, 19:50

FSTN technology provides a sharper ,higher contrast display.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Apr 2014, 20:23

Looks like Junghans did their homework on making the negative LCD high contrast.

From the photo there's a pretty close distance between the transflective material and the LCD panel just above it to help maximize the brightness of the display, and the thick digits let the light in as well. Can't wait for this review holly. :-D

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Junghans Mega Futura 026/4104.00

Post27 Apr 2014, 15:11

OK, here is my review of the Junghans against Ventura...........
Firstly over the years i have had all watch types and makes,autos,manuals solar etc,but find im back with digitals,despite their "geeky" lower rent image.
It nice to know at least two manufacturers have bucked this trend to design, manufacture and assemble some genuine superb higher end digitals,which are featured here.
HISTORY- Both these companies are the best in the business for higher end digitals,both have applied there own technology and build using their own modules .
More than could be said for the dozens of ETA engine automatics in the market. With this in mind these products are unique,and deserve their place among the best available.
Junghans is a much older company than Ventura however both have suffered financial problems in their past.Both were/are famous for their automatics and chronometers.Ventura are now sole digital ,while Junghans offer a far bigger range of watches,covering many types.
Also worth noting,Ventura have gone through another company restructure,and its main "rescue" anchor man,Mr Pierre Nobs is no longer there.I am not sure how this will affect the company,but i have been informed that the main players now are confident of the companies future.........................................
A large price reduction has been applied across all Ventura products ( temporary ) however this may be part of the companies new direction,which makes these fare more affordable.

QUALITY-Both are superb,little to chose between them,although my Sigma is on a higher plane, its case design,and brushing is a work of art.You need to handle a Sigma to appreciate it.The leather band on the Junghans is more comfortable with its traditional clasp.The Ventura rubber is comfortable but the clasp design is not.It tends to cut into the wrist and the spring pressure clasp that holds the rubber strap to the required length can loose its tension which makes this even worse. With this in mind i am giving both equal marks on Quality.Both have sapphire crystals.Also worth noting ,although the Sigma is pressure tested to 3 bar its water resistance is reported much,much higher.....

DISPLAY- The Futura uses a very large ,more traditional style but it has been modified to offer a more refined segment design and with a unique display.It is digital time in its purest form,no leading zeros,hrs largest,followed by smaller mins and smaller seconds.The contrast on the segments is very high, by using the thicker ,larger segment display.It is very good against the black case and band,the time really "pops" and is very clear.This "no leading zeros"style is very easy to read,and you appreciate it very quickly. Overall it ranks above all other lcd displays for clarity ....except the ven-03 module Ventura.Although its slightly more cluttered and marginally less easy to read at a glance with the time and date in the same even sized numbers,there can be no disputing its beautifully fully formed segments and its amazing contrast.This is a more polished display.
I rate it above the newer module design,as its a slightly more mozaic look to the segments because of its increased size,although still excellent and bettered by no other (i must purchase the Ventura Gamma )
So a win here for Ventura,although the Futura is easier to read at a glance.

DESIGN- Both are fabulous,the Sigma is like nothing else and is a work of wearable art,its totally exqusite.The Futura is also beautiful and builds on the companies Mega 1 styling design. Worth noting the Sigma appears on Nicholas Cages wrist on the movie "Bangkok Dangerous" However comfort goes to the Futura,so i am calling it even here.............

FUNCTIONS- The Futura has no count down timer,chronograph,alarm or second time zone,it does have radio control which means its always spot on,despite the odd non sync occasionally. Depending on your needs ,i am giving this one to the Sigma.

DESIRABILITY- Both off the scale here.!

VALUE FOR MONEY- With the current price reductions at Ventura,a clear win for the Sigma. (down from a genuine euro 1490 to euro 535) An absolute bargain,and probably of equal quality to a watch of euro 3000.

VERDICT- With the recent price reductions at Ventura,it makes it very hard for the Futura to win,it is beautifully built and of superb quality,but against the Sigma it stands no hope.Technically it beats the Ventura,with its radio control,but then again the Sigma has more features and the unique scroll wheel for setting and operation.I would highly recommend them both,they are unique,desirable,and beautiful and worlds apart from mainstream digitals.The Sigma is IMO destined for cult status,and is the most stunning piece of craftsmanship in the digital watch world,indeed maybe the entire watch world.
A winner? Ventura but please,please get them both!! :mega:
Last edited by holly35 on 01 May 2014, 08:43, edited 2 times in total.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Re: Junghans Mega Futura 026/4104.00 REVIEW !!

Post27 Apr 2014, 21:28

Which model sigma is down to 535? I can't any models anywhere near that low on the Ventura site.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Apr 2014, 21:36

Nm I've found it now, you threw me when you mentioned Nicolas Cage wearing one in a movie, I, wrongly, though he wore the one with auto movement.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Apr 2014, 18:18

great review..still confused about the numbers 026/4104.00

is it this one? A shot that i took a year ago somewhere in Belgium

- Kasper -

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post30 Apr 2014, 00:52

Great review. I only have the Ventura Sigma and boy am I loving it. I have to say the construction is good and finish is good for the most part. If I don't already have one, the current discounted prices is a no brainer. I would buy one in a heart beat. Its not the most comfortable watch to wear, but its really a functional digital watch with iconic unquie styling from Ventura.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Apr 2014, 15:14

That's a really nice future classic you got in the Ventura Sigma stockae.

By the way, that's also quite a collection of potty books in the background too. :mrgreen:

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post30 Apr 2014, 19:54

Let me tell you, some of those works and some doesn't ... :grin1:

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Apr 2014, 21:14

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 May 2014, 11:25

...further surprising update due here soon....................

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 May 2014, 13:17

what updates??????????????????
Next

Return to Modern Digitals