It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:40

Early Microma - Segment Died, Any Hope Of Reviving?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Early Microma - Segment Died, Any Hope Of Reviving?

Post20 May 2014, 06:16

This old Microma is one the earlier models which has two recessed setting buttons on the side and no light. It had been working OK with all segments showing. Suddenly, on the second-from-right digit, the lower-right segment stopped showing. The 3rd photo shows an extra anomoly when the top-right of the segment disappeared too, but it comes back in the 5th photo. The 6th photo shows when the segment was OK. Penultimate photo shows the opened back of the watch with module visible. The module is not sitting loose (like later Microma models where you basically tip the case at a gentle angle and the module will drop out). There is some resistance when trying to pry it up (I stopped to avoid any accidental damage)

I did try to find existing posts on this but couldnt find anything that was helpful to this situation so apologies if this has already been covered and would be thankful for a pointer to the thread

I would appreciate if anyone has suggestions for diagnosing/fixing the problem and also to safely remove the module from the case.

Thanks a lot!

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Early Microma - Segment Died, Any Hope Of Reviving?

Post20 May 2014, 16:14

To be honest it's a difficult repair.

Getting the module out is the easy bit. You have to gently prise out the steel retaining ring holding the module in place with a small screwdriver. Unfortunately you'll then find that the display is glued onto the module using conductive glue. No zebra conections - just glued in place. If you take it off it's very very difficult to get it back on again using new conductive glue (without smudging the connections from the module to the display).

Might be worth trying to get some conductive glue onto the broken connection without removing the display (by pushing it in from the side) but it's going to be tricky.

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post20 May 2014, 17:02

Thanks Digibloke. Do you mean I should try to inject some conductive glue through any gap there is between the module and the dislplay? How would I see the broken connection and what happens if there is just a bunch of glue that gets injected into any opening? Apologies if my questions are elementary.

In case I go down the road of trying to remove the display, how would I do that?

Your help/advice is much appreciated

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 May 2014, 10:50

Pushing a tiny amount of conductive glue into the side of the display in exactly the right place is certainly worth a try before you take the display off. To find where - hold the module up to a strong light and try to see where the missing segments connection goes to.The glued connection between the display and the module will be small and it will be very close to the connections either side of it (0.5mm - 1mm) so be careful not to use too much conductive glue or you'll short it (which will mean more missing segments/segments coming on when they're not meant to).

To get the display off (I wouldn't - it really is a pain to get back on) gently and carefuly work a scalpel/sharp blade under it and then try to lift one edge. It should just pop off.

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post23 May 2014, 16:53

digibloke wrote:Pushing a tiny amount of conductive glue into the side of the display in exactly the right place is certainly worth a try before you take the display off. To find where - hold the module up to a strong light and try to see where the missing segments connection goes to.The glued connection between the display and the module will be small and it will be very close to the connections either side of it (0.5mm - 1mm) so be careful not to use too much conductive glue or you'll short it (which will mean more missing segments/segments coming on when they're not meant to).

To get the display off (I wouldn't - it really is a pain to get back on) gently and carefuly work a scalpel/sharp blade under it and then try to lift one edge. It should just pop off.

I will grab myself some conductive glue and give this a try, prob in a few weeks when I'm feeling braver! This sounds like something I'd better only do if very well rested. I will update either way to let you know how I get along. Thanks

Return to Electronical