My First Accutron Astronaut

For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

My First Accutron Astronaut

Post14 Dec 2013, 18:17

Been stewing over buying an Astronaut for awhile now. M6 14kt solid gold Bezel with 14kt Gold filled case and bracelet. It has a wonderful story behind it which is another reason I am glad I bought it. I bought it off the original owner who flew U2 Spy Planes so it is not a watch that has been marketed all its life. Enjoy!

Last edited by Timecollector on 04 Sep 2017, 17:24, edited 6 times in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: My First Accutron Astronaut

Post14 Dec 2013, 18:33

A real beauty...wear it with proud :-D The force of this watch is that the whole dial is so perfectly in harmony.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post14 Dec 2013, 18:39

Kasper wrote:A real beauty...wear it with proud :-D To force of this watch is that the whole dial is so perfectly in harmony.

Thanks Kasper. I do wear it and it keeps wonderful time as the original owner kept it very well maintained. I am very pleased with the purchase. It is quite stunning!! :Hi:

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Dec 2013, 18:55

that is a sharp looking watch, I love this Accutrons and yes, the history behind them is interesting and the technology so space age. this watch is beautiful at any angle.
Never did it to the moon, the credit goes to to the Omega Speedmaster. I got one of this yesterday. love it too. :Prost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post14 Dec 2013, 19:12

Too great looking pieces there Phaser66!!! :Hi:

peter.g

Post16 Dec 2013, 13:56

Congrats on your first Astronaut. :mega: I have 2.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Dec 2013, 23:12

Very nice Astronaut! I never knew there was a gilded version. Here's mine with a period JB Champion bracelet

peter.g

Post16 Dec 2013, 23:23

dutchsiberia wrote:Very nice Astronaut! I never knew there was a gilded version. Here's mine with a period JB Champion bracelet

Very nice. :mega:

Here's mine.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post25 Mar 2014, 00:25

Very sharp Astronauts peter.g I just now pieced together who you are as I have heard comments (Skypilot) on the WTF on how clean your watch collection is. :Hi:

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post25 Aug 2014, 12:16

This thread inspired me to look for an Astronaut.They're a cracking watch with a rich history.
I grabbed an interesting one a while ago, and have been doing a lot of reading about the model since then.
It wasn't working, but came at a good price :-D

Anyway, I recently got a standard 214 movement, and transplanted it into my Astronaut:

astronaut.png

It hums along and runs like a steam train now ! Keeps excellent time too.
Notice it doesn't have the 24 hour indicator. The 214 movement doesn't have the additional gear to drive this hand.
I'll keep an eye out for 214HN movement. Until then, I'm happy just to have it running. :-D

Also notice the AOPA logo on the dial. It stands for Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. Pretty rare I think.
Gotta look for a nice bracelet now................
Rgds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Aug 2014, 03:49

Actually the astronaut did make it to the moon. Well the mechanism did anyway as it drove the on board clocks! One on the LEM and the other on the command module. So Accutron can claim to be the first 'clock' on the moon.

Of course, when Apollo 13 had to turn off the electrics to conserve battery power they lost the main bus powering the clock. Prior to shutting down, it is the Accutron on board clock that they synchronized there sweep second hands to on their speedies. This enabled an accurate firing of their thrusters for earth trajectory on the far side of the moon out of radio communication.

They deserve an honorable mention I think. An accutron did make it into space with one if the original 7 also.

Cheers, Geoff

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands