It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:35

Apple unveils new Apple Watch smartwatch..

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Apple unveils new Apple Watch smartwatch..

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Apple unveils new Apple Watch smartwatch..

Post09 Sep 2014, 21:55

Hmm,

Quibble #1 / 500: Lugs
I don't understand why each smartwatch designer feels the need to re-invent the watchband / bracelet. What's wrong with using standard lugs? Am I missing something here?

Quibble #2 / 500: Aesthetics
I was hoping to see a round design / display like the Moto360 or perhaps a cool TV case with a slight nod to the past. The thick rectangular chicklet shaped case with off center "digital crown" does not appeal to my eye. Perhaps the actual production versions will be more attractive. The idea of using a rotating crown / click wheel, sort of like the Ventura V-Tec / Braun BN10 is sort of appealing and may stick around in some form. I find the 1.5" touch screen on my Nano watch perfectly usable, though.

Quibble #3 / 500: Battery
Though no hard figures are yet available, this is likely another device that needs charging every 12 hours. The battery issue will be the real ongoing sticky point with these types of devices. The other issues can be solved but this will continue to be a tough one as long as they continue to try to build watches with the same functionality as phones. Perhaps technologies like the Mirasol display found in the Timex One may help in this regard or perhaps a sort of "dumb watch" mode to extend the battery life to something reasonable.

Well, thanks for trying, Apple. At least it will almost certainly spur some innovation in the field (and a flurry of internet discussion from wannabe watch designers). Perhaps some day I will be swayed from my vintage watches by something new and shiny but not just yet...

-abe.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Sep 2014, 23:31

I thought I was going to be disappointed but to be honest after watching this I want one. In 18k gold. Now. The voiceover is annoying though when he pretends to be searching for the right (pause for dramatic effect) word (the whole time...)

http://www.apple.com/watch/films/#film-design

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post10 Sep 2014, 14:46

Nice design....nice design...nice design...nice design...ok thats all :-D , nothing new or special enough to buy it and wear it on a daily basis.

The only thing i do appreciate is the magnetic band....hopefully it's doesn't attract paperclips when wearing it :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Sep 2014, 18:51

I for one do not need a magnetic band,

Using a magnetic field any where near the following is a recipe for hassle:

-credit cards
-bank cards
-hotel key cards
-Any magnetic storage media (floppies, tape ...).

Yes I still use old school stuff! So putting the watch down absentmindly while working would be a hassle. I am currently restoring a 1976 HP 9825a COMPUTER tape deck. Beautiful machine with a large dot matrix LED display capable of alpha numeric display. Magnetic field around the tapes, no way.

Back to the watch, wonderful design, like to see standard lugs and strap so that it looks more old school with the correct dial design selected. Magnetic induction charging is also nice. Reminds me of my Ricoh Shrewd Reminder which comes with a night stand for charging. Just place the watch on the stand over night and you are good for another 6 months!

Geoff

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post11 Sep 2014, 10:25

wow..great stuff Geoff but "1976 HP 9825a COMPUTER tape deck"? But what was the purpose of this machine?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Sep 2014, 13:16

Yes they look nice but are they any more functional that other smartwatches?

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post11 Sep 2014, 16:19

Kasper wrote:wow..great stuff Geoff but "1976 HP 9825a COMPUTER tape deck"? But what was the purpose of this machine?

I second this query, what was this HP used for? And how do you program it, BASIC? With a single line of LED for feedback?

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Sep 2014, 18:58

Full computer and controller, the back has plug in connectors (busses) for connecting to machinery, or whatever you heart desires. Today's computers are not controllers, unless you purchase a lot of high end controlling devices. The on board memory was 32k with expandable memory modules, the front had four ports for dedicated roms (math, physics, string language)... The tape deck on the left was for data or program storage. The printer on the right was, well, for printing!

You would write programs in HPL (a combination of basic and fortran) which would then control operations in a plant or etc. combine that with a clock connected to the the system and your computer would wake up at a specified time, turn on all the lights in the office tower, start the furnace or air conditioning and ... This one came from NASA's physics and engineering labs. Think of it as the brain to control the robots at the ford assembly line.

The single line LED alpha numeric display was for questions for input (prompts) if you were loading data. Attach it to a monitor, plotter, printer...

The tape deck was memory storage for data or could contain a program which would be run. The printer, for printing of course.

Some still in use today, at a list price of 5000 back in 76 that would make it around 20,000 in today's money so it wasn't cheap. To replace it with a dual core industrial quality computer controller today would be around twenty grand, so if repairable you can save money. Working as in mine, a user/collector Would pay around 4,000.

Still programmable, will do anything you like from 'time value of money' to clinical lab studies.

Geoff

Like the watch though, just not the strap and lugs. Oh for old school watch design, say how about a pocket watch version? That would be cool!

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post12 Sep 2014, 16:25

That's one cool computer/controller, I didn't realize such a PC existed!

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets