Guru

Guru

World's thinnest watch: CST-01 with E-Ink display

Post13 Feb 2015, 02:19

Hi fellows,
I haven't been here for quite some time, but this week my new watch arrived :-D

CST-01 + DQG Hobi 1.jpg

CST-01 + DQG Hobi 2.jpg

Titanium alloy, light as a feather (10 grams!!), rechargeable battery (runs 4 weeks), very comfortable to wear.

There is a USB-powered charging station that is also required to set the time as the watch itself has no buttons at all.

http://centralstandardtiming.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165 ... nest-watch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cte

Techie

Techie

Re: World's thinnest watch: CST-01 with E-Ink display

Post13 Feb 2015, 02:49

Amazing lol. Please post a few pics of it in the charger stand. Cheers. :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post13 Feb 2015, 10:29

Welcome back :-D , i've been waiting for this one for a while. Nice shots.
At last the record of the 2 mm Sanyo from 1986 has been broken. How thick is it?

I think there is coming a new batch of E-ink displays..nice i like that...4 weeks only is a bit of a bummer.

More shots please, we are all very curious :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Feb 2015, 16:08

4 weeks on a single charge is not too bad and it only takes 20 minutes to charge 8-)

Quite a few styles to choose from and at $299 to $349 it's not bad price wise either.

Thanks for sharing the photo's and it is nice to have you back Rewolf. :-D

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Feb 2015, 14:18

Can you buy one outright and not part of the Kickstarter campaign?

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post18 Feb 2015, 00:45

Very cool looking. Definitely post more photo and and your opinion on it.

ronaldheld, I think the web site said you can pre-order one for as low as $299 ... I thought the kick starter was $129 ... :p

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Feb 2015, 00:52

stockae92 wrote:Very cool looking. Definitely post more photo and and your opinion on it.

ronaldheld, I think the web site said you can pre-order one for as low as $299 ... I thought the kick starter was $129 ... :p

Thanks, I will look more carefully at the site.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Feb 2015, 01:09

i ordered and paid for one of these over a year ago, still no watch.Actually i thought the technicalities of producing something so thin had defeated the kickstarter project.The fedback from CST has been appalling, lots on there on Facebook, lots of unhappy people waiting a long time. Great to see they are finally dispatching

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post21 Feb 2015, 15:39

cte wrote:Amazing lol. Please post a few pics of it in the charger stand. Cheers. :)

Will try as soon as I have to charge it.

I peordered mine off the CST web site, not via kickstarter. $199 was the price back then. I estimated my chances 50:50 for ever receiving a watch. I deem myself very lucky to be apparently one of the first to get it. There are still many unhappy backers waiting and raging on kickstarter forum.

Workmanship ist not 100% perfect, at a close look it has some minor flaws. Doesn't look look mass-produced, more like (semi-) hand-assembled. Anyway, I'm very happy with it.

I think its biggest drawback it the non-replaceable battery. At some point it will die and render the watch useless. I try to extend battery life by keeping it cool: I take the watch off and place it on the desk at work. Makes a very cool desk clock because of the horizontal display orientation

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Feb 2015, 11:31

I think they had no choice but to start releasing them, talk of litigation etc in the US. I think many buyers would have put up with the wait, it was the lack of any information at all for months on end that caused the bad feeling

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post22 Feb 2015, 23:08

In my eyes ugly as hell, but still amazing from a technical point of view. How do you connect the charging/setting station?

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post24 Feb 2015, 05:02

Kasper wrote:Welcome back :-D , i've been waiting for this one for a while. Nice shots.
At last the record of the 2 mm Sanyo from 1986 has been broken. How thick is it?

I think there is coming a new batch of E-ink displays..nice i like that...4 weeks only is a bit of a bummer.

More shots please, we are all very curious :-D

A Smartwatch must be smart enough to hold its battery for one week"
- Kasper -

Of course there is another train of thought on the Bit in red above and that is............ :scratch:
If your not draining the battery in less than a week you don't need a smart watch. Just a watch. ;-)

Although thanks Kasper, for reminding me to change MY signature. :Prost:

PS. Rewolf. I love the watch.. :mega:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post24 Feb 2015, 18:57

You don't even have to touch your smartwatch to just get one week :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post25 Feb 2015, 13:33

Kasper wrote:You don't even have to touch your smartwatch to just get one week :-D

I think I understand what your saying Kasper... :scratch:
But let me know if I misunderstood.

If I only use my Pebble as a watch (not connected to the mobile) I get 9 to 10 days.
Having said that, that's why I generally use it for what it's meant for, an easily accessible
snap shot of my phone, on my wrist. :-D
I only did it to find out just how long it would last..
Just shows how frugal it is cos when it is connected I get 5 to 6 days anyway. ;-)
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post26 Feb 2015, 19:16

If I only use my Pebble as a watch (not connected to the mobile) I get 9 to 10 days.

wow didn't know that...thats not to bad. Still waiting for a boardmember to do a small review of the watch :-)

- Kasper -

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post26 Feb 2015, 22:32

Kasper wrote:

wow didn't know that...thats not to bad. Still waiting for a boardmember to do a small review of the watch :-)

Very difficult to review I think :scratch: it's a real conundrum because it is forever evolving. (open sourced
unlike the dictatorship of apple)

Its like everything else in life (imho) its a compromise. Better than some (in some ways) worse than others, in others.
Or maybe it's because it looked like no body on here can be bothered with a watch that needs re-charging. M:)W:)M M:)W:)M M:)W:)M ;-) ;-)

NB. my revised Signature ref Mother of invention was a shot at Global issues/electric cars and the circular economy stuff etc. :grin1:
Along with a little reminder about homework. M:)W:)M

Which was touched upon in a thread started by me about the Pebble watch Titled: "More than a step in the right direction maybe."
Here. viewtopic.php?f=59&t=6950&hilit=+a+step+in+the

Horses for courses eh Kasper?? ;-) ;-)
"Put the gas pump down and bring me the CHARGER boys." :grin1:
:dwf:

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 May 2015, 15:58

Its been so long i dont remember how i paid for my watch, it must have been via Paypal. Out of the blue, without any notification, my original payment was refunded this week. I went and looked on the web and it appears CST havent been able to overcome the technical problems associated in mass producing such a thin watch.This has resulted in a very high failure rate (nearly half) and it appears they have now run out of money. Why my payment was refunded and who instigated it remains a mystery. Lots of pissed off people out there though

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post01 May 2015, 16:56

Maybe its a good thing that you got your money back instead of getting a product that doesn't quite work .. :)

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post01 May 2015, 18:12

gjlelec wrote:Its been so long i dont remember how i paid for my watch, it must have been via Paypal. Out of the blue, without any notification, my original payment was refunded this week. I went and looked on the web and it appears CST havent been able to overcome the technical problems associated in mass producing such a thin watch.This has resulted in a very high failure rate (nearly half) and it appears they have now run out of money. Why my payment was refunded and who instigated it remains a mystery. Lots of pissed off people out there though

You got your money back. :?: :no:
You lucky B*$!@?D.
Just pick me 6 numbers from 1-49 please. M:)W:)M

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 May 2015, 22:29

LMAO, i aint normally a betting man but i do get tempted a few times a year, Grand National etc. My latest bet(s) are to do with the Royal baby. If Kate had plopped it out on the 28th i would have one. If she emerges from the hospital wearing a yellow dress i win, if she calls the new sprog John, i win. And if i was WAPLE (prince William) i'd defo win

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post01 May 2015, 22:47

gjlelec wrote:LMAO, i aint normally a betting man but i do get tempted a few times a year, Grand National etc. My latest bet(s) are to do with the Royal baby. If Kate had plopped it out on the 28th i would have one. If she emerges from the hospital wearing a yellow dress i win, if she calls the new sprog John, i win. And if i was WAPLE (prince William) i'd defo win

M:)W:)M M:)W:)M M:)W:)M

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post06 May 2015, 21:25

So the Sanyo 1986 (2mm thick) still stays the thinnest working digital watch :-D

- Kasper -
Next

Return to Modern Digitals