It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:36

Seiko 6309-610A Automatic

For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

matticktoc

Seiko 6309-610A Automatic

Post22 Sep 2016, 16:46

Thought I would share a watch I just found and bought a 1982 Seiko Automatic 6309-610A. I love the look of it and of course the age, love retro older watches. Can't wait to get it :pimp:

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Seiko 6309-610A Automatic

Post22 Sep 2016, 17:45

Is that real? The logotype looks a little odd to me, even the caseback looks not quite right. Im no expert on mechanicals so may be completely wrong. Just asking the question, wouldnt want you to get stung.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

matticktoc

Post23 Sep 2016, 16:09

Adam wrote:Is that real? The logotype looks a little odd to me, even the caseback looks not quite right. Im no expert on mechanicals so may be completely wrong. Just asking the question, wouldnt want you to get stung.

Adam

I checked out the serial number it comes up a July 1982. Other than that when I get the watch seeing the movement will be the real test. $40 no big deal if it is not, love the look of it :-D

matticktoc

Post03 Oct 2016, 18:12

Ok I got the watch today and opened it up, it's the real deal. The watch is in great shape. The watch is a 6349-8010 serial number 3n0104 I which is not the same as in the photos. The seller had said the photo was not of the actual watch, I missed that. Here is a video of the back opened. Loving this vintage watch for sure.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Oct 2016, 18:48

Yikes. :eek:
You do know some poor guy in probably India made that dial? It has nothing to do with Seiko.
If you're lucky the case and movement might be Seiko.

It's wrong. Very poor quality logo to start with.
Compared to the actual logo...

Case is overpolished too. Looks like a shiny blob, sorry. :cry:

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Oct 2016, 21:01

Easy does the negativity ;-)

Just a little less harsh, as I got caught on a Ricoh that was rebranded SEIKO. Only paid five dollars for it at a flea market. Interestingly the serial number for the fake seiko I had came up on a Google search as a repeat. First sign of a fake. Similar to the faked 6138-7010 sliderule watches, Google "6138-7010 fake". Good news, your serial number does not come up on a search. Do a Google search of Seiko 6309, your dial style does not come up either.

Now to yours:

Dial: I would agree on the dial, which is a poor remake at best, but still, if you like it. But think about it, luminous dial, luminous sweep second and non-luminous hour and minute hands. Change the hands for a set of lumed seiko ones. Lots of aftermarket hands on eBay.

Movement: always liked the 6309 for robustness and build. Not the prettiest but worth a continued service life. Yours looks real.

Case: again, looks real, serial number does not Google as fake but has absolute signs of a major resurfacing with polishing wheel and sandpaper. Having been to India a few times, and looking on eBay for similar climatically acclimated seikos, these watches got HEAVY use in a damp, humid environment. So over polishing the case back is pretty normal. The main body is also very polished and is missing some of the edges it would have had prior to the polish.

Now, nice watch, bit gaudy on the dial for my liking. But that can be fixed with a donor dial. Needs luminous hands though to match the dial.

I have been to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing and you can find stalls at all the markets where "watchmakers" change batteries, poke around in manual wind watches and cobble together from a parts box a "new" watch. Some sell on eBay.

best regards and enjoy the watch,

Geoff

PS. For fake seiko article check out the following:

http://quartzimodo.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-seiko-watch/

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands