It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:19

A 2nd package from Biel

• Author

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

A 2nd package from Biel

Post12 Jan 2017, 19:33

The Omega book I ordered arrived today. It is big and super heavy.

In addition I was lucky again and got what it seems to be the very first Omega LED. The watch shows at which early stage Omega was in contact with Hamiltons digital watch division.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: A 2nd package from Biel

Post12 Jan 2017, 19:38

Interesting watch Hanno, especially the logotype, serifs!
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Jan 2017, 19:45

Don´t know when Omega used the serif lettering the last time.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Jan 2017, 00:17

Dont recall ever seeing that model Hanno, not a pic, nothing. Amazing

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post13 Jan 2017, 03:03

Wow, I've never seen one like this either.
Another Ebay score ? Or did the guy selling the previous one have this one tucked away too ?

Did it come with a movement ? Does the caseback unscrew, or is it sealed like a P1 ?
More pictures please 8-)
Rgds.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Jan 2017, 09:30

Very interesting find Hanno, can I add my request for more photo's please. :-D

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Jan 2017, 21:28

Here are five pictures of the watch:

#1: Comparision between the Time Computer II Constellation, Omegas first LED and a standard Time Computer II. As you can see the TC2 is quite small (and in heavy used condition :grin1: )
#2: View of the Omega and Time Computer lettering
#3: Without clasp you can see in the inner part of the bracelet. These are hollow type links, only the first 3 links are solid on each side.
#4: Inner side of the case
#5: The watch did not come with a module and the seller said the prototype has been unfinished. That´s reasonable as the button does not contain a magnet yet. I was quite sure that the watch has been produced to run with an E/D module. The calculator watch modules have the same dimensions as a P1.
#6: And here´s the proof as the calculator module is a perfect match.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 Jan 2017, 21:14

Peter Wenzig Shows pictures on his Website which are taken from magazines that reported from the Basel watch fair.

The Omega LED watch prototype in the middle (1st picture above posting) has been shown at the Basel watch fair in 1972, the Omega Time Computer 2 prototype on the left at the Basel watch fair in 1974.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Jan 2017, 00:19

I think i prefer the 1972 prototype to the actual TC1 they ended up producing. Strange they originally stamped a big "Omega" on the case when the early models didnt have Omega on them, only the symbol on the crystal

Early leather models- logo only

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post19 Jan 2017, 06:59

What are you plans for the first prototype case Hanno ?
Those 4 epoxied things inside the case are strange......locating posts of some sort ?

Rgds.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post19 Jan 2017, 07:06

Excellent photo's, love the Time Computer Hanno.....and I also prefer the smaller Omega logo. :mega:

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 Jan 2017, 21:01

charger105 wrote:What are you plans for the first prototype case Hanno ?
Those 4 epoxied things inside the case are strange......locating posts of some sort ?
Rgds.

I won´t give the watches to the Omega Museum. They have no (real) interest in their LEDs obviously so to keep the protos here makes more sense to me until they change their mind someday. The good News is that the museum entry in Dortmund is free of Charge. I won´t do a restoration, you usually damage more than you preserve. I moreover have to find out which material they used to build it.
My first idea was to produce kind of an E/D module for the watch but this would have been the wrong approach: The P1 came out on what, 3rd of April? The Basel fair was from 15-25.04.1972 and the the picture above clearly shows that the watch was planned to run with the later RCA module although it is not a real photo of the watch. So what I basically need is an original P1 RCA module.

Don´t know about the posts. The most likely explanation is that the watch was displayed working at the fair and of course that wasn´t possible with batteries. I believe it was done on some sort of support which held the watch and was also a power supply. We don´t know it and these are just likely assumptions.

Anyway, a P1 module holder would be great so that I can assemble the rest and I have a working watch (without changing anything on the case of course).

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 Jan 2017, 21:15

gjlelec wrote:I think i prefer the 1972 prototype to the actual TC1 they ended up producing. Strange they originally stamped a big "Omega" on the case when the early models didnt have Omega on them, only the symbol on the crystal

Love the Omega Time Computers. They have such a clean look, a perfect shape and size ...unless you take a photo next to the prototype. This watch is much more elegant.
But it doesn´t matter, the standard Time Computers are still amazing watches and you have an extra nice pair on your picture. I am a bit envious and don´t want to know about your other watches :O`~ :O`~ :O`~ :O`~ :O`~

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Jan 2017, 00:15

All the endless searching for hours through auction sales, spending money that can be better used elsewhere. And all because of this bloody thing !!

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2017, 04:22

SASM wrote:
charger105 wrote:What are you plans for the first prototype case Hanno ?
Rgds.

My first idea was to produce kind of an E/D module for the watch but this would have been the wrong approach: The P1 came out on what, 3rd of April? The Basel fair was from 15-25.04.1972 and the the picture above clearly shows that the watch was planned to run with the later RCA module although it is not a real photo of the watch. So what I basically need is an original P1 RCA module.

Anyway, a P1 module holder would be great so that I can assemble the rest and I have a working watch (without changing anything on the case of course).

Jurgen Hofstadter had/has a brand new P1 movement in the box. Maybe he'd sell it to you:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6217&p=39893#p39893

Otherwise it wouldn't be too difficult to just 3D-print a carrier.
No side slots for magnet setting on your Omega. Interesting :scratch:
Rgds.

Return to Omega and GP