What I would like to see in a "NEW LED WATCH"

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: What I would like to see in a "NEW LED WATCH"

Post04 Apr 2006, 14:01

Wow, this one is by far the best 8) 8) !
Make it exactly like the photo. Mirrored or stainless face. No engraving. Red or blue LEDs (I have no preference here).

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post04 Apr 2006, 14:16

I'll be doing both red and blue displays. But only about 500 watches will be made with the blue one.

As for text, I'm definitely putting somthing to the right. :) I think engraved would be nice (when I picture it in my head). It's possible the manufacture won't do this, I'm just checking with them now. I'm not doing the protruding glued on lettering anymore. I'm always scared those things will come off over time. :)

Jeff

collector

Techie

Techie

Post04 Apr 2006, 15:04

MJ - I just love this design!!!!!! Engraving would look rich and great. I definetly would go for both models if this is the final design!!!!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post04 Apr 2006, 17:33

MJ,

Yes, I was suggesting replacing the clear glass with blue for the blue LED and red for the red LED. I still would like that look, but I now understand that is not the look you are going for. That large, dark screen tends to get peoples attention more.

From and ergonomic standpoint, if you press the top button, it would seem natural that you would automatically stabilize the watch by putting your thumb on the opposite pusher. I may be wrong, but is that something you considered?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post04 Apr 2006, 20:28

HDLED wrote:From and ergonomic standpoint, if you press the top button, it would seem natural that you would automatically stabilize the watch by putting your thumb on the opposite pusher. I may be wrong, but is that something you considered?
Hm, I also had this thought. When you press a button, you need support on the opposite side, preferably in a straight line. On MJ's watch, I think this would rather not be the other button, but the place where the bracelet is attached. Perhaps not perfect from an ergonomic standpoint, but definitely ok for me. BTW I love those huge pushers 8) (and I can live with some text to the right as long as it's a clean, straight font :wink:)

Another suggestion for the mirror/stainless face: how about a semi-transparent mirror coating on the rear side of the crystal? It would look like a mirror and the digits would shine through only when activated. It wouldn't have the asymmetric "jump-hour" look, though.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 00:46

I thought about the button issue before designing the case, but I wanted them in the opposite corners. The look outweighed the fact that some people may find it a LITTLE harder to push the main button. My first concept had the two buttons on the right side. I didn't like the look. Then I thought of putting the lower button on the side (not corner) but I thought the watch looked better with the buttons tucked in the corners. I was happy I was able to get the buttons configured the way they are. None of this two function buttons on the one side and the setting on the other. This is more in line with the Hughes (etc) configuration, which I like. By the way, the buttons on this watch are smoother than any LED watch I've ever owned. I never even requested that when having it made. (Slipped my mind). :)

n MJ's watch, I think this would rather not be the other button, but the place where the bracelet is attached

This is exactly what I do and it works out fine.

Another suggestion for the mirror/stainless face: how about a semi-transparent mirror coating on the rear side of the crystal? It would look like a mirror and the digits would shine through only when activated. It wouldn't have the asymmetric "jump-hour" look, though.

I can't really picture in my mind what you mean. :) But the watch case that I have now is the final one. I might see about putting a little rectangular crystal over the rectangular display of the watch, within the "face plate". Sort of like some of the faces on the NSC watches if anyone has one. Not that it really needs it but it might look a little nicer. If there is any chance of that crystal coming off, I won't do it.

Jeff

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 01:13

MJ wrote:I thought about the button issue before designing the case, but I wanted them in the opposite corners. The look outweighed the fact that some people may find it a LITTLE harder to push the main button.
100% agreed. It looks a lot better with the buttons like they are.

About the semi-transparent mirror:
I mean you just see a mirror when the digits aren't lit (not a dark rectangle). When the digits light up, they shine through the mirror. This is achieved with a very thin metal coating on the inner side of the crystal (some DVD players have this type of display). Together with a polished face the whole front (including the place where the LEDs are) would look like a mirror.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 06:27

About the semi-transparent mirror:

I see. Sort of like me putting a colored crystal in there, you mean to put a mirror one. It might be hard to source something like that...Well for the guys I'm dealing with. I'd rather a colored crystal just to give the watch a little more color when it's not lit but I'll keep it in mind. I might just leave the display the way it is except to put an engraved border around it, as well as the text at the side.

Jeff

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 17:17

I've been a real sucker for symbols and I've been looking for a way to have the printing on the right to be bigger than the display. I don't like the display dwarfing the printing, it almost looks like it's really big. Anyway, I kind of like it. "Majestyk" needs a symbol. The crown was kind of boring so I thought about a jousting knight. Anyway, if it's over kill let me know. If you can think of another symbol, I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise I'll just go with lettering.

Jeff

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 17:40

MJ wrote:... I thought about a jousting knight. Anyway, if it's over kill let me know...
Err, yes, IMHO it is overkill. The lettering is fine - cool font. I'd leave away the symbol but keep the lettering at the same position (not vertically centered).

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post05 Apr 2006, 17:50

Looks tons better with the silver back ground Jeff !!

When are they ready for Beta testing ?

Cheers
Simon.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post05 Apr 2006, 17:54

Since you are welcoming input from the "public"......
1.Knight - way overkill.
2."Majestyk" shouldn't be in face area...it competes, visually, with the display. I know, I know, lots of watches have a logo on the crystal/face; however, they are usually not such a stark contrast. It looks harsh,IMO. My vote would be for putting the "Majestyk" in the area outside the "face" zone, directly below where you have it. This could be achieved for less than $.50 each through chemical etching or sandblasting with a stencil(laser cut vinyl), or for about $2-3/piece by a laser marking shop. I've had lots of extremely detailed letters laser cut from steel(understand I work with a bronze sculptor as his fabricatior,when he has a commission...we use the letters for memorial type plaques,etc.) - it is incredibly cheap technology today. A good shop could put that knight in there too, for the same price. It doesn't even take a CAD file anymore...shop I use just scans my stuff from an enlargement.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post05 Apr 2006, 18:21

MJ - since you are still seeking input - I agree with Little 1Up - the symbol is overkill and where he suggests putting the "Brand" is great. If it could be lased in, even better. This is going to be a "Killer Watch"" with the new design!!!

By the way, thanks very much for seeking our input!!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 18:48

MJ - took the liberty of "Photoshopping" the face of your watch.http://www.shimmeringimage.com/images/majestyk4.jpg...take a look. Now the display and logo sit slightly oppossing each other, in the same fashion as the buttons?
For those who wish it was gold....voila!http://www.shimmeringimage.com/images/majestyk4_gold.jpg
Last edited by retroleds on 05 Apr 2006, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post05 Apr 2006, 19:18

Littel 1up - like very much your proposal to MJ. If MJ's end watch looks like this, absolutely no doubt that I would buy both the Red & Blue versions - absolutely stunning!!!!

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 20:01

little1up, no writing on the crystal is what I also prefer. But no no no, please no writing on the case. If there HAS to be writing at all, then in the crystal. MJs last proposal (but without symbol) is perfect!
Here you are MJ - ask 10 people and you get 10 different answers :P
If there is strong demand for a lettered case - could we perhaps have 2 versions?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 20:27

I was only trying to put it into a visual format(men are visual?)...it's still MJ's watch. Personally I like the "gold version" - look back at the graphics, I posted an alternate in gold. As far as not writing on the case.... it seems to me that having a marked case and band is often considered a good thing with our old/collectible watches? I was thinking that maybe a quality case engraving would stand the collectors' test of time better. Plus it gets you away from "original crystal" issues - a clear crystal without a logo can be buffed repeatedly to remove scratches. It wasn't clear if MJ was planning on putting the text under the crystal; if so, it would render that concern mute.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post05 Apr 2006, 20:43

Just what MJ needs - more input, some of us want the lettering on the case - some on the crystal. If possible, the best answer would be a version with the lettering on the crystal and a version with the lettering on the case.

AS A POINT OF REFERENCE, BARBIE9 sells TWO VERSIONS OF OF HIS PULSAR SPORTS LED WATCH. ONE WITH THE LETTERING ON THE CRYSTAL AND ONE ON THE CASE. I myself bought the one with the lettering on the case as I really dislike the one with the lettering on the crystal.

If allowed, this choice will allow us "customers" to choose either / or OR in some cases both versions (increased sales for MJ!!)

This is my last comment on this watch as, I am sure that MJ has had his fill of them.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2006, 20:49

......guess we should give MJ a chance to respond before we continue our "design by team DWF". :lol:

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post06 Apr 2006, 01:06

You know I'm glad I came here for ideas. I wasn't originally going to do that. But it's working out well. Anyway, I have to settle on something by tonight and I think I'll go with what is below.

The Knight is gone. It wasn't going to be that big by the way. I really don't like the writing on the actual case. I have one of the watces in my hand and I compare it with the photo that little1up did (thanks very much for that by the way) and I just don't like it. :) The face needs something to the right so I'll just keep the name on the face where it is. No "Quartz LED" either. I can always change the glass and face of this watch and in my next batch (after 2000) I COULD put a colored crystal and text on the case...I'll see. I still like a text free case better though...That's why I have the face. :)

I MIGHT stick a little crown over the "J" as the period, like I did on my other temp design. But of course, I won't use it if you guys don't like it. HEHE. I'll post it here tonight first.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post06 Apr 2006, 16:50

One more layout and this is it. It's down to these two. Team DWF (I forget who came up with that classic) can decide. No more crown by the way. Any suggestions on what to put on the bar on the clasp? I want some text or logo. Since the crown is gone from the face, the theme is sort of gone and not necessary to put on the back plate and clasp. The one above gets my vote.

Little1up: Maybe I'll make an 18K Solid Gold version just for you. :)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post06 Apr 2006, 17:20

MJ - don't make me go Photoshop on your watch...should we try a tie-dye look next?! :lol:

This would be the "Electro-Majestyk" or maybe "The MAgical Mystery Majestyk".
Last edited by retroleds on 06 Apr 2006, 17:39, edited 3 times in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Digitals